A Good Day

On a good day, Cubby gets to wake up refreshed from his all-night slumber.  He isn’t pulled into consciousness by the clamour of his sister waking up.  On a good day he gets pulled into bed for cuddles with me and Daddy, who is not at work or getting ready for work.  On a good day, all his fingers are in tact, and not bleeding profusely.  Yesterday, then, was a good day.  I can’t remember the last time Cubby woke before Pudding.  If we needed the Early Intervention evaluation to take place on a good day, this was perfect.  My boy was at his very best.

His very best means that he will be very unhappy with strangers entering his home, but give him 20 minutes and he’ll be all smiles.  He’ll willingly perform the tasks required of him, but more importantly, keep trying at the ones he can’t do.  In that way you’ll get a very accurate assessment of what he can and can’t do.  I’d say that is pretty perfect for what you’d want from an evaluation.

As previously noted, Cubby is ahead with his language.  It is atypical though.  He labels things, including me.  His pattern of acquiring language is so startlingly similar to his sister’s that we feel we’re just watching the same process unravel.  There is one difference, however.  I sat in on most of  Pudding’s speech therapy sessions with her excellent therapists.  I acquired some of the tricks for getting kids to use their words, and he has the benefit of that.  His social communication is emerging.  He is not delayed or even atypical enough to warrant speech therapy services, but there are watchful eyes on him, and that soothes my mind.

The cognitive skills that were so problematic in the screening?  Not such a big deal today.  In fact, he is again ahead a few months developmentally.  On a good day, of course.

The services he will receive will be coming from an occupational therapist.  He does indeed have fine and gross motor skills delays.  He has low muscle tone, and some major problems with self-regulation, and some sensory issues.  They got to see that even on a good day.

I’m very, very pleased with the outcome.  I’m glad they got to see my boy at the peak of his potential.  I’m happy he is going to receive the services that he needs.  I was right to make the call.  But part of me is glad that on the day of his screening, he had a bad day, because I’m not sure we would have qualified based solely on today’s performance.  I’m astounded by the vast difference between a good day and a bad day.  I’m sorry to say that he has more bad days than good days.  Still, when we get the OT, and my boy gets what he needs, I know that we’ll start having more and more good days.  I can’t wait.

About these ads

October 7, 2010 at 5:17 am

1. A wonderful post, I am so pleased the assessments reassured you as to what Cubby needs, where he is ‘at’ right now and what support and services he will be able to access.
    I hope it is something of a relief. Cubby is so lucky you are his mummy.

DQ

October 7, 2010 at 6:15 am

• It is a huge relief. I didn’t realize how long I’d been holding my breath. I don’t kid myself, I’m the lucky one. :-)

spectrummymummy

October 7, 2010 at 6:26 am

2. a good day indeed. I’m glad you called, and I’m glad the day went better than expected, and I’m glad he’s getting what he (and you!) need :)

October 7, 2010 at 6:45 am

• And I’m sorry I can’t say the same to you about your experience. We all need good days ahead.

spectrummymummy

October 7, 2010 at 7:08 am

3. So glad you had a good day!! We had our pre-k evaluation yesterday as well and we too had a very good day!! My sweet boy really turned on his charm and was engaging and performing tasks well!! Couldn’t have asked for a better day!!

Praying for all of us that more and more of them are ahead!!

joeys mommy

October 7, 2010 at 7:35 am

4. That is a great day! Congrats on a great evaluation and getting the services that Cubby needs!

autismisnot

October 7, 2010 at 10:50 am

5. I can’t tell you how happy your post made me. I always meet parents after they have gone through this process and sadly it isn’t always a positive experience. I feel like Ifinally get to see what parents go through before I get to assist them on an amazing journey. I am sure you don’t even realize how you have helped shape my perspective when I meet new families. Thank you!

Stacy

October 7, 2010 at 9:45 pm

6. I was at least 5 weeks behind on your blog and caught up tonight. I can’t believe how much I missed! I’m so glad to hear that Cubby is going to get the services he needs. And I continue to be amazed by all Pudding has to teach us. Her perceptions are so very insightful.

Michelle

October 8, 2010 at 11:14 pm

7. Excellent news!

October 10, 2010 at 6:17 am

8. [...] Like Spectrummy Daddy going to Afghanistan, twice.  Like realizing that Cubby also had some special needs, thinking they were more severe, then learning that they probably aren’t.  It has been a big [...]