Thanksgiving Memory

AutismLearningFelt

This week’s theme for the Special Needs Blog Hop is Thanksgiving Memory.  Now, as you might expect with me not being raised American (or Canadian), Thanksgiving is not a big deal for me.  I don’t so much like pumpkin pie.  Our first Thanksgiving was right after our honeymoon in Key West, so I decided to keep that going and substituted pumpkin pie with key lime pie.  That tradition has stuck with us ever since.  The first time Pudding had a taste of key lime pie, she fell in love.  We told her what it was and she immediately pointed to her plate and said, “More key lime pie, right here.”  We didn’t know at the time that she had such difficulties with spontaneous communication, but she has always been more than capable of getting her needs met when she is motivated enough.  Let me tell you, key lime pie is motivation enough.  After she finished her second piece, she promptly did this:

She is definitely a girl after my own heart.

Remembering this is bittersweet to me, because there is no way we can make a key lime pie without eggs, milk, and gluten, so the tradition won’t continue this year.  Unless anyone knows of a GFCF key lime pie recipe?

About these ads

November 18, 2010 at 3:06 pm

1. Sweetie, I don’t even know what key lime pie IS!

November 18, 2010 at 3:19 pm

• I’d never had it until my honeymoon either, but it is delicious! Even better than donuts ;-)

November 18, 2010 at 3:22 pm

2. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by KarenG and akbutler, Spectrummy Mummy. Spectrummy Mummy said: Thanksgiving Memory: http://wp.me/pZNhv-gg [...]

3. As soon as I started reading your post, I thought “Oooo, I need to find a GF dairy free Key Lime pie recipe!”
    I found this one below. Have never tried it but it looks good. :) (Except I forget, can you have eggs? Not sure how egg replacer would work.)

The crust recipe looks a bit involved though. I found this one that looks easier:
    (but has no salt or sugar, I’d follow the instructions to add salt and sugar in one of the comments; can’t imagine pie crust without it)

I think I may have to steal your Thanksgiving tradition idea :) (Though I like pumpkin too. We always have more than one pie and I’m thinking Key Lime needs to go in the running.)

Becky

November 18, 2010 at 3:36 pm

4. Lovely photo, pity about her not being able to have it this year. As I don’t even know what key lime pie is I can’t help with any ideas for GFCF either, sorry. Enjoy the day :) Jen (visiting from SN bloghop)

*waves at Fi* Hello Fiona :)

Jen

November 18, 2010 at 3:37 pm

5. Key lime pie is such a better idea than pumpkin pie. I’m so with her. Gotta have the graham cracker crust though…hard to be GF I would guess…

Lynn

November 18, 2010 at 3:43 pm

6. P.S.: visiting from SN Blog Hop!!

Lynn

November 18, 2010 at 3:43 pm

7. So sweet (literally!!).

here from the SN blog hop!

Dani G

November 18, 2010 at 3:50 pm

8. Love the picture and my special girl would luurve Key Lime pie (visiting from SN Blog hop)

Blue Sky

November 18, 2010 at 4:54 pm

9. When you in Florida in a few days, Grandma and I will hide key lime pie so after the children go to bed you can enjoy as many pieces as you want to your heart’s content.

Grandpa

November 18, 2010 at 7:09 pm

10. I’ll do just about anything for Key lime pie as well.

Visiting from the SN Hop

Marianna

November 18, 2010 at 7:25 pm

11. i haven’t looked at the recipes Becky posted yet, but the first thought that came to mind is to try using banana as an egg substitute. could be weird. but i’ve done that with cakes before. my daughter Hope is allergic to wheat, dairy, nuts, egg and soy. so i feel your pain, my friend!

rhemashope

November 19, 2010 at 11:50 am

12. Love your blog…We are a Canadian/American blended family and we have a 12 year old son with Aspergers. Check out my blog sometime…I will be following yours!

GlamorousArmy

November 19, 2010 at 1:20 pm

13. I DO love key lime pie. I’ve never had it for Thanksgiving! My little guy is on a roll with pumpkin pie. He LOVES it. Seriously. We’ve bought out our local supermarket. And it’s not even Thanksgiving yet!

Brenda (mamabegood)

November 20, 2010 at 9:55 am

14. The PostPunkKitchen has a recipe for vegan, soyfree key lime pie.
    There is no recipe for a crust, but I’m sure you can find one or make one from gf cookie crumbles and melted margarine.
    Good luck!

Anna

November 20, 2010 at 12:54 pm

• Oh, I just clicked through to this. We can’t do tree nuts, so the almond milk, but we can sub this and it looks great!

November 20, 2010 at 2:07 pm

15. Oh I love PPK! That is awesome. I didn’t even think of looking there. Good luck! Make sure you post how it went :)

Becky

November 20, 2010 at 10:12 pm

16. Absolutely KeyLime! My dd looves loves loves it too!

Melody

November 21, 2010 at 12:12 am

17. Love key lime pie and that is such a great picture. The best thing about holidays is putting your own traditions into them. The texture might be hard with GFCF, but you could do some key lime cookies or a key lime cake. Enjoy the holiday!

Jennie

November 21, 2010 at 10:51 am

18. Love the picture! I don’t think I have ever had Key Lime Pie. Thanks for joining in the blog hop.

Stacie