Santa’s Little Helper

She’s making her list, she’s checking it twice.  It doesn’t really matter if she’s naughty or nice, Santa Claus is coming to town.  In Pudding’s world, we’re gearing up for Christmas.  Never mind that this is only September.  Never mind that we’re moving from Spring to Summer here in the Southern Hemisphere.  The last thing I feel is Christmassy.  But that matters not at all to our heroine.

At the weekend she declared: “It’s Christmastime.”  And that is all is takes.  For once I’m glad that our belongings haven’t arrived from the US yet, because if she found the decorations, no doubt our house would resemble a grotto within minutes.  Last year I got the tree up the week before Christmas, and that was plenty for me.

The thing is, Pudding is right about making these preparations.  We now rely on Pouch mail services, which is sporadic at the best of times, and a nightmare leading up to the holiday season.  A couple of weeks ago we were sent an email telling us that we should make sure we order everything in the next couple of weeks to be certain we’ll have it in time for Christmas.  Oh dear, not going to happen.

At least Pudding is prepared.  She has a very long list that she wants Santa to know about.  I think she sensed our unease, and looked for other ways to reach the man in Lapland.  She found it, in her grandparents.  Pudding opens up Skype on the computer, and calls her grandparents, not minding such things as time zones.  Here is a typical conversation:

Pudding: Hello, hello, hello?  Hello….

Grandparent: Hi Pudding, is that you?  Where’s your Mummy? [It is about 5 am here, lucky we love you]

Pudding:Hello….Hellooooo  [Pudding will ignore any interruptions to her carefully planned monologue, these people are amateurs!]

Grandparent: Yes, hello to  you too Pudding.  [There you go, much better.]

Pudding: What’s Santa gonna buy for you? [A little pronoun reversal between family. Not to be interpreted as an interest in your Christmas wishes, oh no.]

Grandparent: Well, I don’t know, Pudding!  Tell me, what is Santa going to bring for you? [Good, Grandparent, you're playing properly!]

Pudding: A toy Hello Kitty.  A toy Abby Cadabby. Some clothes for Kelly doll. A buggy for Kelly doll. A high chair for Kelly doll. A pink castle. A Hello Kitty nightgown. A wand. A pinkalicious dress…..

In the same order, every time.  It doesn’t matter which set of grandparents, she has determined that they have an ‘in’ with the jolly old fellow, and she is going to make the most of it.  You may have noted that Santa buys presents, according to Pudding.  She is unimpressed by my talk of elves and workshops.  She wants nice new shiny things from toy shops.  Preferably wrapped in pink.

Never one to miss a chance to exploit my girl’s wishes, I came up with a plan to help us suffer through this eternal Christmas countdown.  We’re going to make a big list, and bedazzle the heck out of it with winter stickers (ooh, fine motor delights) and glitter glue and all kinds of things.  When she earns a reward, she can add to her list.  But here is the thing- she must add to it.  She can use those infuriating kiddy scissors and paste a picture, or she can learn to write the new words, but that list will be her own work.

This year, Santa is managing car repairs and medical bills galore, he is going to make sure she earns everything on her list.  He is going to have his work cut out getting all the way down here on his sleigh.  Even if he does have a couple of sets of elves suckered in on either side of the Atlantic.

About these ads

September 22, 2011 at 11:14 am

1. That’s awfully cute. Maybe that’s what Lily’s doing; preparing for Summer break.
    “I no want daycare. I no want kindergarten. I no want Jill (her TSS). I want Gramma and Papa.” over and over and over. And over.

Jim W

September 22, 2011 at 2:24 pm

2. Well, at least she’s got the spirit!! I was shopping here (Southern New Jersey) the other day and there are decorated Christmas Trees all over the place at our mall! Hello….. what happened to Halloween and Thanksgiving people??? It kind of put me in the “ba-humbugh” mood for just a minute…. but then I remembered how much my little guy loves the holidays and it made me smile!! We could all use a little of Puddings enthusiasm – along with the cash to go with it!! So, good luck over there and I think your plan for her to earn those things is GREAT!! Going to have a go at it myself!!

Joeysmommy

September 22, 2011 at 3:27 pm

• Oh, she likes her Halloween too, she just has no concept of time yet. It looks like I’m going to have to work a costume with three different characters this year! That is WAY too early for the malls to start with their marketing though. Bah Humbug indeed!

September 25, 2011 at 1:46 pm

3. I’ve been feeling Christmassy this week too. I’ve neglected to send cards the last couple of years because I wait too long to get them back to the US anywhere near Christmas time. This year I’ll be on top of things. I’m ordering them this weekend.

Plus, Sophie was too young for Christmas last year, but she’s going to love it this year. I’m excited for her.

Stephanie

September 23, 2011 at 4:22 am

• Cards are hard for us, and I’ve gotten used to the whole e-card thing. Oh, it is so exciting when they get old enough to enjoy it. Apart from the very first one with Pudding (aged 3 weeks) all our Christmases have been wonderful. Enjoy!

September 25, 2011 at 1:44 pm

4. Oh Christmas…..as much as I love it, I have much angst about Christmas this year….my children, too, have started making their lists! Doll, dolls and more dolls. And a cowboy or two. Who knew?:)

maggiemoo

September 23, 2011 at 9:55 am

5. I have been away for far too long! My sister moved from the US to Australia and she said the hardest thing was to have Christmas eating prawns and wearing shorts and micro tee’s because it was so hot! But don’t worry, she did say it felt right because she was at “home.” No matter how different it is, it will still be wonderful.

Lizbeth

September 23, 2011 at 9:11 pm

• It is my most homesick time of year, and I go overboard on the traditions because I want my kids to have the magical English Christmas that I did. But England isn’t their homeland, and neither is America for that matter. I’m going to make an effort to bring in some South African influence…this will be their memories and traditions, and I’m sure it will be magical for them too. (Welcome back!).

September 25, 2011 at 1:41 pm

• Thanks and remember the kids will have their traditions based on yours so if you want tea and biscuits and it’s 100 degrees then go for it!

Lizbeth

September 26, 2011 at 5:25 pm

6. Wow, and here I thought it was only my kids who were already obsessed with Christmas. My daughter has begged me to put up the Christmas tree at least a dozen times this month. And both of my oldest have been making mental lists of all the gifts they want. I like your idea of having your daughter actually make a real list. I should do that with my kids!

Patty

September 24, 2011 at 4:50 pm

• I’m dreading her seeing the tree when it comes with all our other stuff. Glad we’re not alone in this!

September 25, 2011 at 1:38 pm

7. Hello,

I am Erika from TravelerVoice, a new social network for travel bloggers.

I just found your blog and I really like how you described your travel story with and assertive comments! It’s exactly the kind of writing we are looking for our Living abroad section, please feel free to register :)

In the meantime I am running a contest to reward the most outstanding travel blogs on the web and I am still looking for new members :) so please check it out at http://www.travelervoice.com/contest.aspx for further details.

I am looking forward to hearing from you :)

Cheers,
    Erika.

Erika Martin

September 26, 2011 at 1:41 am

8. [...] become a preschooler, whether I was ready or not.   Meanwhile Pudding was planning ahead for Christmas.  I was running my own kind of marathon, contributing to a book, and I started an a-z series. [...]