Rage Against the Latrine

Okay, this post is not going to be for the more delicate amongst you.  I will completely absolve you if you skip this one.  I’m talking about potty-training, and truth be told,  I’d like to skip the whole ordeal too, but it seems to be part and parcel of parenting.

And you know this isn’t the first time I’ve sunk so low: try googling “pretzel potty” and see whose blog is the number one hit.  Yes, I make my family so proud!

So, not to be too specific, earlier this week Cubby did something on the potty that he had never done before.  Full disclosure, he did something on the floor near the potty, but it was close enough, and we celebrated, cleaned up, and celebrated some more.

Unlike his big sister, who is queen of positive reinforcement and seemed to potty train herself, Cubby is much more reluctant.  We were therefore delighted to take this next step.  Cubby likes himself some social praise, so I set to telling his teacher, our neighbors, grandparents on Skype etc.  If our paths haven’t crossed in the last week, be glad.  Be very glad.

So yesterday, he tells me he wants to go again.  Yay!  I tell him we have to upstairs to get him on the potty, because <you-know-what> goes in the potty.

No, Mummy, I don’t think that’s right.”

I think my head did that cartoon-swivel thing.  “<You-know-what> goes in the potty, not in your pants,” has been part of our echolaic background brainwashing since before he was born.  Pudding has said it approximately 17 times a day for the last three years.  She lives by that mantra.  He grew up to that soundtrack and adopted it for his own (in word, though not in deed).  It was even one of his first sentences!

There were many ways to handle this, and of course I chose the absolute worst- trying to outsmart him.

Me: Oh yeah, so where does it go then?

Cubby: In the diaper……that’s what they’re for, Mummy.

Wow.  Yes.  Now the big question is, how am I ever going to come up with a strategy for a kid who is already smarter than me?  I need help, if I’m ever to get him from can’t to the can.

About these ads

June 8, 2012 at 11:03 am

1. you get him some super hero undies! cos they don’t want you-know-what done in them! love the title of this post!!

mellychan

June 8, 2012 at 11:38 am

2. Let me know when you figure it out. We are dealing with the same level of sophisticated thinking with my youngest…who also got close once and has yet to go from can’t to can :)

June 8, 2012 at 12:50 pm

3. Oh I hate potty-training too! And it is made even worse when they can outsmart you. I finally let my two littlest boys run around naked for a month. Over time that seemed to do the trick although it did not come without its share of messes. Good luck!

csamto

June 8, 2012 at 2:16 pm

4. First, I love the title. Second, I am in this battle with my youngest. Third, sign me up for some of that slogan underwear you & Alysia make!

Lisa

June 8, 2012 at 3:20 pm

5. We’re right there too. In fact, I think Little Miss told me something very similar when I asked her where poop goes.

All I can say about that is…. crap.

Mom2MissK

June 8, 2012 at 4:14 pm

6. That boy of yours is too clever by half… love it! :)

7. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LInXJFXpVvo is from a video which has been good for my daughter. It’s funny and covers a range of abilities, and points out ‘your diapers hardly fit at all,’ which might work, and ‘you can go about anywhere when you learn to use your potty chair.’ Some camps will not allow kids who aren’t using the toilet, for example. In Part 2, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy1943aMeww&feature=relmfu Bear tells Treelo that it’s much easier to move around when you don’t have diapers. Pants will fit better, and shorts. Hope these help!

sylrayj