I’m a Belieber

Justin Bieber performing at the Conseco Fieldh...

Justin Bieber performing at the Conseco Fieldhouse. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

My kids are musical.  I don’t mean this in the sense that they are prodigies- then don’t even play instruments.  Pudding seems to get her musical tone from me (alas), but Cubby can carry a tune.  They enjoy music and it is a big part of their lives.

There may be something about the rhythm that helps Pudding to learn.  She still says her ABCs through the alphabet song, and that is also the way she learned her days of the week.  We sing silly songs to each other with her name in them- music is just another tool for me to engage my children.

Both children have auditory processing dysfunction, so we have tried various therapeutic listening approaches to try and help, but haven’t seen much improvement in that respect.  They don’t always enjoy modified music, but they do enjoy listening to regular music, and making their own (kind of).

In our previous car we had a CD player, and inevitably played two CDs the whole time.  One was mostly nursery rhymes, other kids songs, and the odd bit of Elmo- this was Cubby’s choice.  Pudding prefers female voices, so her CD featured Feist, The Carpenters and ABBA.

Our current car (though not for much longer) only has a cassette deck, so we listen to the radio instead.  A lot of the music gives me a headache, but the kids prefer it to silence.  Still, one of the presenters has a really nice voice, so even when he reads bad news, it sounds good.

I noticed a few weeks ago that Pudding has developed a couple of new artists to her repertoire.  She sings along (kind of) with Adele and Nicki Minaj.  It is interesting to me that she only likes female voices, and I think a big part of her fearing men / preferring women is that deeper voices are disturbing to her sound sensitivity.

Two weeks ago, we were in the car and a song came on that has been played a lot here over the last few weeks: Justin Bieber’s “Boyfriend.”  Cubby began singing along with it, which was the first time he’d shown a preference for a song that wasn’t a rhyme.  When we came inside, he was still singing, so of course I joined in with him.  Even if I prefer my Justins of the Timberlake variety- this particular song is pretty catchy.

I love that they are both finding their own personal style, and learning how to express themselves in all the many ways we human beings can.

Last week we were in the queue to get some medicine from the pharmacy, when the loudspeaker switched on.  Normally loudspeakers (and fireworks) are the enemy for Cubby.  But lo and behold, on comes the Justin Bieber song.  To the amusement of the other customers, he announces with delight:

“Mummy, it’s our song!”

And it is wonderful, because this is him using music to engage with me.  This is social reciprocity, and I’ll take it any way it comes.  I never thought I’d say it, but I suppose that makes me a Belieber.

About these ads

June 26, 2012 at 10:08 am

1. Noooooooooo. Not Bieber ;-)

Anonymous

June 26, 2012 at 10:26 am

2. Reblogged this on MUSIC4ALL.

photos4share

June 26, 2012 at 10:28 am

3. Reblogged this on MUSIC4ALL.

photos4share

June 26, 2012 at 10:29 am

4. LOL: the timberlake variety!

mellychan

June 26, 2012 at 1:09 pm

5. Lost my connection just as I hit post comment!!

You are one of the lucky ones! Many ASD mommies ( me included) that I know of, are shushed by our kids when we try to sing. Yes, I admit I’m jealous! :P (& really, I’m not THAT bad… well, maybe. ;) )

June 26, 2012 at 3:55 pm

• Cubby doesn’t always let me, but I’m allowed to join in on *our* song. Pudding loves for me to sing- I don’t think she knows how bad I sound!

June 26, 2012 at 4:33 pm

6. Love that you can sing with the kids…even if it is Justin Bieber. That’s awesome. Like Karen, I am forbidden to sing.

Lisa

June 26, 2012 at 4:03 pm

7. LM likes my singing, but is very particular about what is played on the car radio (all songs other than “Dance Puppet Dance” are pretty much banned).

I love that Cubby reached out to you with music and that you have a “song” together. That is really sweet!

Mom2MissK

June 27, 2012 at 1:57 pm

8. I didn’t realize that kiddos not wanting to be sung to was so common. I’m glad to know that we are not alone in that… My little guy recently started “singing” along to Kelly Clarkson’s “Stronger” when it came on. He has also been asking for music when we get in the car for a few weeks now. I am super excited with his progress.

KT