Dear @AnnCoulter: This is who you insult with your words

I woke up to the news today that Ann Coulter had used the R-word in an insult to The President following last night’s debate.  I went to bed last night with a migraine, but today I’ve woken up feeling worse.  I’m tired of hate speech.  I’m tired of waking up to a world with that word in it.  There is no place for it- not in politics, and not in our personal lives.

A fellow autism parent blogger has started up a link for a post denouncing Ann Coulter’s slur, and some parents have posted photos to show exactly who is being insulted by the R-word.  Both of my children have developmental delays; and both are beautiful, smart, funny, complex and worthy human beings.  I liberally use photos of them in my blog, but I never will in association with something as derogatory as the R-word.  That word doesn’t apply to them; it doesn’t apply to any of us.

I’m dismayed by a pundit using that word, but I’m just as angry about the number of people retweeting her comment, or defending such an offensive slur.  If you use that word, if you defend the use of that word; you are hurting me and my family.  And if you are going to start doing that, believe me, I have a number of choice words for you…and not one of them nearly as hateful as this one.

About these ads

October 23, 2012 at 9:03 am

Posted in special needs parenting

Tagged with ,

1. The best change between DSM-IV and DSM-V is to discard the R-Word.

MMR is a vaccine, not a description of a person.

Westie

October 23, 2012 at 11:39 am

• Yes- not all change is bad, right?

October 23, 2012 at 8:36 pm

• I’m not too concerned about the different sub diagnoses within the Autism spectrum. That debate has never particularly touched on me.

Westie

October 24, 2012 at 1:05 pm

2. hateful, rude, arrogant – it’s hard to believe what was said and being re-said. I stand next to you in disgust of this tweet and the ignorance behind it.

Nomads By Nature

October 23, 2012 at 12:05 pm

3. Absolutely ridiculous. It’s rumoured that Abe Lincoln had some type of ASD. Would Ann Coulter call him a retard? I don’t think so.

jimreeve

October 23, 2012 at 2:05 pm

• I think she would call anyone anything if it helped her to achieve her goals. She doesn’t use certain other words, though, because the rest of the world won’t let her. Time to stop the R-word.

October 23, 2012 at 8:38 pm

4. “If you use that word, if you defend the use of that word; you are hurting me and my family.”

I couldn’t have said it better. Amen.

P.S. For someone who regards herself as superior, Ann Coulter couldn’t formulate a more intelligent statement? Just sayin’….

Lisa

October 23, 2012 at 2:22 pm

• I think she is smart enough to pick her audience, and doesn’t really care what the rest of us think. Shame on her!

October 23, 2012 at 8:38 pm

5. Her ignorance and hate are simply astounding.

Kelly Hafer

October 23, 2012 at 3:32 pm

6. She was way out of line!

Shell Things (@shellthings)

October 23, 2012 at 4:00 pm

7. It’s so hard to believe that this is still going on. Way to keep it classy, Ann!

ashley1880

October 23, 2012 at 5:41 pm

• I know, we should be done with this. That was what I thought as I wrote- I shouldn’t have to be writing this!

October 23, 2012 at 8:40 pm

8. She’s a ridiculous excuse for a human being.

Honest Mom

October 23, 2012 at 6:03 pm

9. Her comments were depressing on many levels, not the least of which was that this was somehow supposed to further the political discourse in this country.

wantapeanut

October 23, 2012 at 10:06 pm

10. [...] Dear @AnnCoulter: This is who you insult with your words (spectrummymummy.com) [...]

11. prayingforparker