School’s Out

Pudding had her last day of the summer session of preschool yesterday.  Two of her classmates graduated up to Kindergarten.  There was a ceremony and a party, and as always with us there is a story.  That story will have to wait though, as I’m back in the trenches full time with my hyperactive pair.  So, no new post today.  That one can wait until Monday.

I’m aware that since Pudding’s diagnosis, many of you have questions that you haven’t broached for fear of upsetting us.  Today I’d like you to ask those questions in the comments.  Obviously I’m no expert on Asperger’s, but I do consider myself the world’s expert on Pudding, so I’ll try to answer where I can.  Feel free to remain anonymous if you prefer.  If the answer requires a longer explanation, I’ll turn it into a post.

I’ve also added a rating system to my posts.  I’d appreciate it if you could go back to your favourite ones and let me know.  I’m interested in what you like to read about.

Okay, back to Pudding and Cubby.  I have a l-o-n-g day ahead of me!

August 13, 2010 at 7:31 am

1. Hi 🙂 what’s bedtime really like? Is puddin abusy bedtime-r who can’t find her off switch & if so how do you handle this. I ask more for selfish reasons as e can’t find hers lately & I’m looking for ideas to help her 🙂

Emma

August 13, 2010 at 7:46 am

• Sometimes she just has too much energy and you can see it. We’ll put her on the mini trampoline, or Daddy will do lots of spinning her around, upside-down etc to get her more centred. She always sleeps with a weighted blanket too, which I must admit feels pretty good. Right now though, her problem is anxiety, so she can’t sleep unless someone stays in the room with her. When we sit in the chair she goes down pretty quickly, when we try to leave is when the problems begin.

spectrummymummy

August 13, 2010 at 8:00 am

2. How can you tell which of her behaviors is attributable to Asperger’s and which might be just a quirk of any typical little girl? Do you worry more about “normal” phases (such as only wearing dresses) because of the Asperger’s? And how in the world do you find time for a blog?!

Anonymous

August 13, 2010 at 4:19 pm

• Good question(s)! It would really depend on the behavior, and the intensity of it. Some things she does are self-stimulatory, or “stims” which are repetitive actions that serve to comfort her, but don’t serve a purpose in themselves. Lots of typical kids do these too (I’m thinking nose-picking here as an example, or Pudding’s favourite: hair-twirling) and we try to only intervene when the action becomes harmful or excessive. The more I learn about the way her senses function, the more I understand her need to do seemingly bizarre things, like spinning around, or jumping up and down, just to get in-sync. Quirks are generally harmless, less intense, and more recognizable, if not socially acceptable.

The dress thing, is of course something that many typical girls do, I’m sure I had a phase of it too. The only way I get involved with that is when a dress is inappropriate for the situation. So if Pudding wants to go swimming, she knows she has to wear a swimsuit. She can continue to wear dresses in the winter, but she will have to wear leggings or tights too. Her desire to wear a dress is so strong that she’ll probably comply (she did last winter). And we just don’t buy any other clothes any more, there is no point! Her desire to wear dresses has been motivating her to dress herself since she was 2, so I can’t be mad about it. And when her fingers get stronger, I’ll make sure all her dresses have buttons she’ll have to manipulate to improve her fine motor skills.

I think I worry about EVERYTHING more because of the Asperger’s, probably always will. The more she can tell me what is going on, and the more I can understand, the easier it gets.

I find time by neglecting housework, which I always hated anyway and is so quickly undone there just doesn’t seem a point in doing it, and writing when the kids are in bed or eating breakfast. I kind of give myself a daily deadline most days because I haven’t worked for so long that I need to do that or I wouldn’t make time. And it is good for me, so I make time.

spectrummymummy

August 13, 2010 at 4:49 pm

3. I am interested about the spinning and needing to be centred. I had not heard of this aspect before. Can you explain?

courtney