Downbeat Funk

I was thinking that if you asked me what my mood was at the moment- downbeat funk is the way to describe it.  Then I realized I like that expression, and it would be a great name for a band, if I had inherited my dad’s musical talent.  It is that kind of low, where even if someone does something nice for me, I somehow manage to turn it around, and become a killjoy.  There really isn’t much hope, until the holding pattern that our lives are in right now allows us to move on.  I tell you though, we are strapped in and ready to take off.

One of my bloggy friends nominated my blog to receive this award:

That was really nice of her.  I love reading her blog, she is smart and witty and it gives me insight into the mysterious workings of the Aspie brain.  I’m then supposed to nominate 7 other blogs I read, and then tell you in my blog 7 things about myself.  Now I’m stuck, because I’m in a downbeat funk and I just don’t feel like playing!  If I don’t though, I’ll 1) hurt people’s feelings and 2) violate a blogging convention.  The thought of doing either of those puts me in a worse mood.  Everybody else followed suit, and I’m left like the odd one out, maintaining internet silence, and wondering once again why I sometimes refuse to cooperate?  So I suppose I  should just play along.  Shouldn’t I?  It would certainly consume less energy than what I’m about to write.

I don’t mean to be such a misery, I feel the same way about those email forward things, or those things on Facebook that command action of me.  You know, those “you’re-a-true-friend-now-send-this-back-to-me-and-20-other-friends-or-I’ll-think-you-don’t-care” type of things.  I NEVER do those.  Not ever.  You could be my very best friend, or someone I haven’t seen in almost 20 years, or never met at all, and my reaction is the same.  There must be a lot of people who think I don’t care, but the reverse is true.  I get excited to hear from somebody, only to discover it is a generic forward.  Am I the only one?  Can’t you just send me a personal message?  Can’t I tell you that I like you in my way, and not be obliged to do it on your terms?  There are ones where I’m dictated to click “like” if I love my mother, or husband, or kids.  It makes me want to scream!  If the only way my family know that I love them is through clicking a “like” button, I’m doing something seriously wrong.  We used to have chain letters when I was a child, and I never did those either.  Now with the internet, these things have gone viral, and I refuse to participate.  I will do things on my own terms or not at all!  If I had more time and energy, I’d mount a campaign against these things, they enrage me so very much.

Wow, the rage.  Of course, this isn’t really about the blogging award.  This is about going through a period of time where lots of things are out of my control, and my little blog, my sanctuary, is where I get to have things on my terms.  So, I’ll tell you this:

I don’t read many other blogs than the ones on my blogroll, which I do need to update to reflect a couple of the newer ones I’ve started to read lately.  Those are the blogs I recommend, I refuse to say if I like some more than others, as on different days they touch me in different ways.  So I won’t give you 7 blogs to read, just read my blogroll if you choose to do so.  Or don’t, I won’t make you!

I also won’t tell you 7 things about myself here.  In fact, this misanthropic post probably reveals more about me than 7 factoids could tell you.

I also won’t give anyone else this award, or forward an email, or make you click “like” on something.

I will comment on your blog if I like what you wrote.  I will add you to my blogroll (sooner or later) if I like your work.

I will also try really, really hard to get out of my downbeat funk, so that I can respond with the grace that a thoughtful gesture deserves, but I’m not making any promises at the moment.

September 27, 2010 at 10:17 am

1. Okay, if I were a person who EVER clicked “like” on any individual post, I’d do it on this one. (In fact, I think I will anyway.) Thank you, downbeat-funky-chick, and I hope your day gets better. (I don’t do those chain things either, I don’t accept ANY Facebook apps, and while the blog award thing is very sweet I had this exact reaction the one time I received one…and I think I totally didn’t do the pay-it-forward thing, I planned to but never quite got to it, which is what happens most of the time for me…)

Thanks for making me smile on a Monday when I figured it was less than likely. I hope you are able to de-funk quickly, but in the meantime enjoy some good dark chocolate or something. 🙂
    –J

Jenn

September 27, 2010 at 10:28 am

• Misery loves company on a rainy Monday, Jenn. One thing though, I like my chocolate like I like my tea- with milk! 🙂

spectrummymummy

September 27, 2010 at 11:29 am

2. Now I know we could be friends in real life, not just in cyberlife.

September 27, 2010 at 11:03 am

3. I know I gave you this award, but I also know a couple of other bloggers who gave it to you to. 🙂 So you’re THAT good.

Truth is, I’m jealous that you had the stones I didn’t.

On the one hand, I was kind of excited to be acknowledged by another blogger whose work I really enjoy. On the other, I was disappointed in the “chain letter” feel to the whole thing. Like you I NEVER forward the email, or post the status or click the like button. I drives me nuts, and it is completely illogical to suggest that if I don’t do what you say, that means I do or do not feel a certain way about whatever it is you’re posting. Absolutely drives me nuts, and I’m not in a downbeat funk. With respect to the award, I also didn’t like having to single out 7 blogs. I have more than 7 blogs I read and I read them because they ROCK. ALL OF THEM… But I’m such an Aspie, I followed the rule to the letter.

I will admit, though, that it once I got over the initial disappointment, I found it sort of fun.

Anyway, good for you for staying true to yourself.

September 27, 2010 at 11:13 am

• I’m glad you’re not mad at me! I think if I was in a better mood, I’d enjoy the purpose of the thing. I like talking about blogs I read, and talking about myself? Yep, do that way too much- my problem might be sticking to just 7 things. Your blog refreshes my perspective on things, and encourages me to try to understand my children better. There is no cut-and-paste award made that would reflect its worth 🙂

spectrummymummy

September 27, 2010 at 11:27 am

• Thank you. That’s an enormous compliment. 🙂

September 27, 2010 at 11:38 am

4. I actually liked getting the award, it was easy for me to do. What I did find hard though was finding 7 blogs who hadn’t got it already. All my favourites had already got one or was receiving one and I don’t read that many blogs because of my dyslexia. It’s only a matter of time before the screen starts swirling and I can’t understand a word I have read.
    If you didn’t quite catch that spectrummymummy, that was actually a dyslexic/apsie compliment because I read yours. I enjoy your blog, I think pudding ROCKS.
    I too hate the chain mails that come through on my email. I love people to email me and when I get junkie stuff like that I actually feel quite upset.
    Anyways I hope you don’t feel Downbeat Funk for too long, I’m glad I never sent you an award, you was on my list but I knew you had already received one from Laura.
    Love and hugs. x 🙂

alienhippy

September 27, 2010 at 11:40 am

• Thank you, it is a huge compliment. Pudding does indeed rock, and as Cubby’s personality starts to show through, I’ll tell you that he does too! I’m glad you never sent me the award too, but I’m equally glad that you got one and you enjoyed getting one. I think it is a nice gesture, they just aren’t for me. We’re all different, after all! 🙂

spectrummymummy

September 27, 2010 at 3:39 pm

5. Downbeat Funk is an AWESOME name for a band. I’ve been in that funk too, I hear ya. I also don’t participate in the chain emails or all that facebook junk either, not time or energy for that! I’ve only recently started to read your blog–but I like it, so I’m glad you got the award-congrats.

therocchronicles

September 27, 2010 at 5:39 pm

• I know, somewhere like small-town Nebraska there is a garage full of teens wondering what to name their band, and the answer is right here!
      Thank you for your comment- I’m not always such a grinch!

spectrummymummy

September 27, 2010 at 6:50 pm

6. You are just way too cool Spectrummy mummy!
    I was also flattered to receive it and thought it might be fun! So I did it 🙂

But….I echo Laura’s thoughts “I was disappointed in the “chain letter” feel to the whole thing.”-That was the only part that really got me…..and I don’t think that I will participate again 🙂

Sorry to read that you are not feeling the greatest. It sucks when you’re stuck in this place. I can only imagine how incredibly frustrating and helpless if would feel to not know where you are going next.

I hope that you get some clarity soon.

oh….and I agree Downbeat Funk is an awesome name for a band!~

September 27, 2010 at 7:15 pm

• I’ve waited all my life to be too cool! Do you want to be in my band. I can’t sing, play an instrument, or dance very well, so I’ll need all the help I can get!

spectrummymummy

September 27, 2010 at 7:42 pm

7. I am hoping the funk keeps on lifting. I liked the ‘7 factoids’ aspect of the award, I enjoyed learning more about the bloggers I follow.
    I agree that Downbeat Funk is a great band name. I can’t sing or play an instrument (except the tambourine! oh, and I can play the first half of Ode to Joy on the recorder, if that counts?) but I can dance, so count me in! 😀

Amy (DQ)

October 2, 2010 at 6:29 am

• Yes, you would have to be our dancer- it is in your name, after all. I’ll take the tambourine.
      The funk in itself is clearing up nicely. The situations leading to the funk are still in place. I’m hoping that by next month, or the month after, things will be a little clearer.
      I quite liked learning more about the other bloggers too. I’ll share my own factoids on occasion. Now do you see where Pudding gets some of her quirks from? 😉

spectrummymummy

October 2, 2010 at 6:48 am

8. Get Yourself Out Of A Rut…

I found your entry interesting thus I’ve added a Trackback to it on my weblog :)…

stacyknows.com