Give and Take

Pudding got Christmas this year.  That in itself is pretty huge.  She got that Santa brought presents in the night; some were for her, some for her brother.  She got that, she just didn’t always accept it.  She liked that Santa bought her various pink and princessy items.  She was cool with Father Christmas bringing Cubby trains and boy things.  But Santa had made a mistake with one present, and she has done her best to rectify that ever since.

A couple of months ago, we’d seen a Sesame Street book with a toddler’s “CD” player and discs.  It was perfect for Cubby, who likes Elmo, and music, and touching (scratching) any grown-up CDs and DVDs he can get his hands on.  We did not anticipate that within the few weeks between then and Christmas, Pudding would develop a new special interest with Ernie.

Special Interests are, well…special in our house. Even before the diagnosis, we’ve always enabled and cultivated these passions.   Of all the aspects of spectrummy life, special interests are the easiest for us to understand.  This is because both Spectrummy Daddy and I both have special interests now, and we did as kids too.  In fact, not having special interests would be unusual for our progeny.  You try telling Spectrummy Daddy that Batman is not the greatest super hero of all time, and see where that gets you.  Just like if you even suggest to me that there might be a greater novel than Jane Eyre.  As a young child I was crazy about horses.  I’d even got a small collection of tack, but…erm, no pony.  Then anyone who knew me as a teenager remembers my obsession for Take That far exceeding the typical teenage infatuation.  I even went to the same concert five times in a row.  My parents were enablers too!

So, at the time of purchase, there was no Sesame Street or Ernie for Pudding, she was enthralled with Upsy-Daisy again.  My parents bought another doll to replace the one she carried everywhere with her, and she was ecstatic with new and old Upsy-Daisy.  But she made more requests for Ernie, we found and bought a stuffed Ernie for her birthday, and that was it:  Ernie, Ernie, Ernie.  I must admit to feeling a little sad for Upsy-Daisy, at being so quickly usurped, but like Sleeping Beauty and other special interests, they still remain close to her heart.  Their importance to her just waxes and wanes.

So all this left us with a dilemma over the CD player.  In the end I decided to give it to Cubby.  It is Elmo, rather than Ernie, after all.  But the instant Cubby opened it, Pudding snatched it away.  One of the songs it plays is The Rubber Ducky Song, after all.  For the most part, he doesn’t mind.  He has plenty of other toys to occupy him.  When he decides he does want to play with it, a possessive Pudding isn’t willing to share.  It is usually around this time that Ernie decides he wants to ride on the back of Pudding’s bicycle, and Pudding graciously runs to assist him in this endeavour.

That is the other good thing about special interests, they make for great motivators.

December 30, 2010 at 7:17 am

1. I TOTALLY get the Take That obsession……Robbie Williams….YUM! *drool*

Ooops, Sorry, this post is about Pudding… LOL!

December 30, 2010 at 7:36 am

2. Madam is the same way about her special interests, when a special interest movie is replaced she wants nothing to do with it, the transition is smoother with toys/things but she’s the same as pudding where she still loves them, has to have them in bed but doesn’t otherwise pay much attention to them.

As for my special interests, Erasers, Stones, Containers, Batman (I’m with your husband there) & Idioms. I get fixated on movies/characters too, as a teenager it was the movies Basquiat, Austin Powers & The last waltz (concert film) which I watched sometimes daily. These days it’s The big bang theory (Sheldon) and Flight of the concords.

Emma Apple

December 30, 2010 at 11:44 am

• We both adore The Big Bang Theory too- a big hit in our house. 🙂

December 30, 2010 at 1:56 pm

• TBBT seems to be a common special interest in the general population 😀

I forgot to say Madam has some constant special interests that don’t wax & wane, namely language and drawing/art.

Emma Apple

December 30, 2010 at 2:21 pm

• It is an interest so universal it can’t be special any more!

Yes, Pudding has never altered on drawing/art/painting, or wearing dresses. It is more the characters she likes that are all-encompassing at times.

December 30, 2010 at 2:25 pm

3. Well I’ll have Robbie on the back of my bike any day….did I say Robbie or Ernie? Did I just write that? Well let me just say Robbie is all mine and I’m not sharing him, he’s far too yummy. Great post btw…love and hugs. Lisa. xx 😉

alienhippy

December 30, 2010 at 12:19 pm

• Ooooo, I just had an idea…ping…you should have called this post “Give and Take That!” giggle…lol

alienhippy

December 30, 2010 at 12:21 pm

• Ha ha, that wasn’t the way I was intending this post to go, but that is the way it wanted to go, so you’re probably right!

December 30, 2010 at 1:59 pm

4. […] yet again, because my kids like to chew on them.  I picked up the Elmo one for Cubby, and the Ernie one for Pudding, but she stopped me, and told me she wanted the Abby Cadabby one instead.  Hmm.  […]