Out with the old, in with the new

It is inevitable, at this time of year, to look back and reflect.  Some big things have happened this year, like my girl starting school a few years before we’d anticipated, in a classroom we’d never have planned.  Like Spectrummy Daddy going to Afghanistan, twice.  Like realizing that Cubby also had some special needs, thinking they were more severe, then learning that they probably aren’t.  It has been a big year for being confused, and being worried. Aren’t they all?!

It has been a normal year.  My kids who previously seemed to be only children started to discover a relationship with each other, and now show affection to each other.  There was the odd bit of toilet humour.

It has been a year of good days and bad days.  Becoming a Hopeful Parent, and finding those small moments that make it all worthwhile.

It has been a year about struggling to find time for me.  A year for discovering writing, forging new friendships, and discovering a community even at my most isolated.  Finding my voice, helping Pudding to use hers.  Sometimes pictures spoke louder than words.

But really for us, this has been a year about being in the same place.   A year without moving, a year without even leaving the country.  I don’t remember the last time I spent an entire year in the same country.  Sometimes we were going round and round in circles.  In every sense, this year was about being static.

I’m ready to move forward, and see what the next year brings.  See where 2011 takes us.

Happy New Year Everyone.  I have a feeling 2011 is going to be a good one!

December 31, 2010 at 7:09 am

1. Happy New Year, Spectrummy Family one and all. Hope 2011 brings wonderful things — and I hope to visit wherever on the map you land!

courtney

December 31, 2010 at 8:50 am

2. I have a feeling that 2011 will be a great year for us all. It has to be. I too look forward to seeing you…sometime soon! Happy New Year!

December 31, 2010 at 10:01 am

3. Happy New Year. We have enjoyed our times together as we have all laughed together, cried together, rejoiced together. We have watched changes happening, sometimes embracing them and sometimes fighting them. But, always hopefully that something new and exciting will happen tomorrow. We are excited to be not only an observer but a participant in what is happening in all of your lives. This is my prayer for the entire family for the New Year. May the New Year be filled with more laughter than crying. May the New Year be filled with more joy than sadness. May the New Year be filled with happiness and excitement. We love you.

Oma

December 31, 2010 at 10:42 am

4. Sounds like a very FULL year! I can’t imagine needing to relocate so very frequently. Here’s hoping that you find peace and time for YOU in the new year! 🙂

Chris

Chris P-M

December 31, 2010 at 2:17 pm

5. Happy New Year and please let me know when you might be available for coffee…I’m finally back in a sort of upswing and really need to get out and about! Also, thank YOU so much for your support over the past few months, it has been such a boost for me!

Jen

January 1, 2011 at 11:00 am

• awesome! Are afternoons good for you? I’m free Tues, Thurs & Fri, after the boy has napped. Looking forward to it!

January 1, 2011 at 2:18 pm