Trickery

Top hat as an icon for magic

Image via Wikipedia

We were at the grocery store.  As we passed down one aisle, something caught Pudding’s eye, and she ran off in pursuit.  When something attracts her, she must touch it.  Nothing can come between her and the object of her desire.  In this instance, it was a collection of beanie baby toys.  Before we could catch her, she dashed off, and proceeded to pull down from the display the ones that interested her, and discard the ones that didn’t meet her standards.  By the time I got to her, she had several in her arms, with many more on the floor, and she showed no signs of stopping.  As always each one had to be picked up, observed, and kept or discarded.

I began gathering the ones on the floor and putting them back in the display, but I was no match for her speed, and yelled for back-up in the form of Spectrummy Daddy.  He abandoned Cubby in the trolley, and set about trying to stop the mayhem.  She darted behind him, and found she could spin the holder, which she took to doing, naturally.  Like her favourite princess, Sleeping Beauty, my girl is in the thrall of spinning objects.  She spun, and darted around, and evaded capture.  Eventually, she succumbed to our pleas to stop, and even helped tidy up the chaos she’d created.

She was particularly enamored with a Hello Kitty beanie, and made several heartfelt pleas that we might buy it for her.  We weren’t moved though, we are old-timers now, and know better than to reward a behaviour that we’d like to discourage.  I was mildly surprised that she didn’t whine as we continued on our way through the store.  I would go so far as to say that I was astonished that she held my hand the rest of the time, and walked neatly by my side in the most angelic manner.

I believe as we walked around, I was congratulating myself for raising such a good child.  Sure, there’d been that little hiccup with the beanie babies, but didn’t she recover well?  She is going to be okay this girl.  Perhaps next time we come I’ll reward her with the beanie baby of her choice.  Her brother too, such a well-behaved toddler!  We deserted him to go to his sister, and he didn’t make a peep.  He never made a fuss.  We must be doing something right, we should pat ourselves on the back!

We got to the check-out, and began loading the groceries onto the conveyor belt.  It was the two of them giggling that alerted me.  My eyes flashed to her, and took in the tell-tale giddy bounce.  When this kid is happy, she can’t hide it.  I looked over to her brother, and saw that he was holding one of the beanie babies!  At some point while we were fixed on the mayhem, Pudding had performed a sleight of hand, and passed off her stolen merchandise to her accomplice.  He’d sat there as quiet as can be, as his sister misdirected our attention.  They’d have gotten away with it too, if it hadn’t been for their mirth!

I recall reading an article that people on the spectrum aren’t fooled by close-up magic.  Their joint-attention deficits mean they aren’t looking at what the magician wishes them to, but focus instead on the area they shouldn’t, and spot the trick immediately.  Interestingly, these findings are being used to find a way for magic to be used to teach autistic children about social cues.  Pudding definitely struggles with joint-attention, something we’ve worked on with both of them for some time.  I’m looking forward to seeing the ways this could help her to learn.  I’m wondering, though, if being on the spectrum might predispose you to being good at misdirecting attention, or seizing an opportunity that would be missed by others.  Is it wrong that I was impressed at the skilled teamwork they showed in their first foray into shoplifting?

We were duped pretty easily by this brother-sister scam.  I’ve wished for so long for the two of them to have a better relationship, and now we’re getting it- that is magic in itself.  But I never predicted what a team they would become, nor that they’d be sucked into a life of petty crime at such a tender age.  It makes me wonder what trickery this duo will come up with next, and if I am in any way ready for the challenge.

January 3, 2011 at 7:21 am

1. Trickery mixed with love is the best!! Sounds like Pudding was just having some good old fun at her mom’s expense, nice to see her brother is her back up!! Great story!! Love your family!!

joeysmommy

January 3, 2011 at 7:46 am

2. Oh, I just loved this story. 🙂

It’s my hope that my two will grow up close and stay that way. In a weird way, aI want them to team up and keep secrets from me, and have each other’s backs. This made me smile that Pudding and Cubby were so artful in their teamwork. 🙂

No, I don’t think you’re wrong to have enjoyed it and been impressed. Good job, Mum!

January 3, 2011 at 7:47 am

• Funny how we wish for the very things other parents discourage in their children. I hope the same for your two, I definitely gather there is a closeness from what I’ve read of them. 🙂

January 3, 2011 at 9:56 am

3. this story is fantastic. fantastic.
    I know there’s a bond between my two youngest that I will never understand or break, and they are already giving me a run for my money. I’m not sure if it’s a life of crime, but it will be something. but I know my two and your two will work their powers for good. a new brand of superheroes. 🙂

January 3, 2011 at 9:30 am

• A new brand of superheroes for sure. While I could see Cubby as the sidekick, I’m not entirely certain Pudding will use her powers for good, especially when she learns the baddies get minions to do their bidding!

January 3, 2011 at 9:53 am

4. rofl, I love it, even better because the pair of them were in on it together 😀 Jen

Jen

January 3, 2011 at 11:42 am

5. Team work. Cooperation. Inventiveness. Sibling loyalty. Theft. I see all postives in this story. Especially in Cubby not ratting out his sister. This is the feel good post of the new year.

Big Daddy

January 3, 2011 at 1:20 pm

6. I love this story! Sibling love is so important and what parent doesn’t rejoice in it even when it is at our expense!

D. S. Walker

January 3, 2011 at 3:16 pm

7. My experience with shoplifting wasn’t so uplifting. Both of my aspie boys shoplifted “stuff” from several different stores and I’ve had multiple, highly embarassing, visits to store security officers. There seems to be a disconnect regarding right and wrong when they decide they need something. They knew it was wrong, but they couldn’t control the urge to take.

Karen

January 3, 2011 at 5:24 pm

• Yes, I could see with Pudding’s compulsiveness that this could be an issue as she gets older. We made sure we told her it was naughty, and she wasn’t to do it again, but whether that works or not is anyone’s guess. With her we have to be clear every time that it is not okay to take things that don’t belong to her, when it becomes a rule, she generally abides by it, thank goodness. I can only imagine how embarrassing it would be, especially if the people at the store had no awareness of autism.

January 3, 2011 at 5:33 pm

8. What a lovely story and I didn’t know about magic and ASD. Will keep an eye out for that one.

Geeky Mummy

January 3, 2011 at 5:48 pm

9. What a lovely story, and showing the development of a great relationship between the two of them. I also didn’t know anything about magic and ASD this sounds really interesting will keep my eyes peeled. xx

10. This made me laugh! Thanks for the great, feel good story. 🙂

autismisnot

January 3, 2011 at 10:03 pm

11. a great caper, thwarted by giggling. Wonderful!

Sally McDonald

February 27, 2011 at 7:20 pm

12. Oh, I love it! Such mirth and collusion…they are just going to be a handful as they get older, I can just see it!

Lizbeth

February 27, 2011 at 7:58 pm

13. Visiting you back from BlogGems. What a coincidence that your story is about brother-sister love, too. I’ll have to say whenever I hear my two laughing, I know they are up to something naughty…

Tat

February 28, 2011 at 7:03 am

14. […] there are so many things those forms don’t measure.  A burgeoning sibling relationship, the ability to work out what she needs even when her system is threatened, the capacity to make […]

15. […] trickery – Yes, right?  Not just mine, […]

16. I read your blog regularly, but this post is one I had to comment on — I love the story — the sibling teamwork, the shared giggles and pulling off their plot. This is a GREAT story! Thank you for sharing it!

Karla (Mom2LittleMiss)