Is there an app for that?

One of my reservations about the iPad was that Pudding would become antisocial.  Our goal is to keep her engaged and interacting as much as possible, so I feared that she might hole herself up in her room playing games.  To counter this, I ensure that the only apps on there are of educational value, and I put a password on the device.  It is also possible to put a timer on which sends the iPad into sleep mode after a certain amount of time.

I’m pleased to say that these things haven’t proved necessary.  She has been very good about asking to use the iPad, and is willing to stop when I ask her.  More often than not, she is showing me a picture she has drawn, or how much better she can write her letters now.  She enjoys being in the same room, and has generally been so well-behaved that I removed the password altogether.  She still asks me if she can use it, even though she can operate it herself.  I like that.

As for being antisocial, that hasn’t proven to be a problem yet either.  One of the things she likes to do is go on YouTube to watch Ernie sing the Rubber Ducky Song.  From there she navigates to other favourite clips (don’t worry, there are settings to ensure she only watches appropriate material).  The other day she brought the iPad to me, and said she wanted to put trains on for Cubby.  I was really impressed and touched that she was thinking of what he would like.

I continued to prepare dinner, and after a few minutes of quiet, I went to see what was happening.  They were both lying on the sofa, side-by-side watching the iPad.  I can’t remember a time they have both seemed so content in each other’s company.  I stood still, wishing that my camera wasn’t in the basement, knowing that to go and get it, I’d alert them to my presence and disturb the moment.  I savoured the image, amazed that once again the kids had surprised me with their progress.  The iPad was actually encouraging them to be more social.  Who knew?

Then Pudding looked up and saw me watching her.  “NO!  I want Mummy to go out of the room.”  And just like that, I was reminded that there is still a way to go on her social skills.

Is there an app for that?

January 4, 2011 at 12:40 pm

1. If I may be so bold, I think what she said to you was awesome 😉 She’s asserting her independence while spending time with her brother. I call that very social and age appropriate. And again, very awesome.
    I’m more and more convinced that we have to get one. Somehow.

January 4, 2011 at 1:07 pm

• You may be so bold. 🙂

Chip-in? I’m sure there are lots of us who would help out. I actually think it will be more useful as she gets older, for keeping organized, but there are many ways I like it now. Shame they are so expensive.

January 4, 2011 at 1:56 pm

• you are so sweet. I’m hinting about the iPad for my birthday. My husband’s worried that the kids will wreck it. There’s a very good chance of that.
        I saw Laura’s comment about the social skills stuff – Model Me Kids has a free app with their social skills/social story videos, if you haven’t seen that already.

January 5, 2011 at 12:09 pm

• Well, just say the word and I’d be happy to start it. You can get very durable cases, and password protect it, so it on;y gets used under supervision. I think your birthday gift should be just about you though! We have the MMK app- very good.

January 5, 2011 at 5:39 pm

2. I’m just starting to use the iPad with Smiley and I so hope that I see this kind of progress too. Tho Smiley is starting from a much lower level.

Blue Sky

January 4, 2011 at 2:25 pm

• We’re very new to it too, though I have an iPod that she used to use. Does Smiley use it for communication? I’m impressed with the range of apps for that, and for visual schedules too.

January 4, 2011 at 3:10 pm

3. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Spectrummy Mummy, Spectrummy Mummy. Spectrummy Mummy said: Is there an app for that?: http://wp.me/pZNhv-k6 […]

4. What a great story. 🙂

I love that they were just chillin’. That’s so cool. Julia loves the iPad too. It’s Daddy’s company iPad, so she doesn’t get frequent access, but when it’s home she, too, always asks, and is responsible with it. It’s a great thing.

Congrats!

OH! and I hear there ARE social skills apps. 🙂

January 4, 2011 at 9:41 pm

• It was such a surprise to see the two of them just chillin’. hopefully we’ll see more of that.

January 5, 2011 at 5:41 pm

5. […] most incredible gift to our family.  I’ve even written about how the iPad helped my two kids to connect with each other.  I’m convinced that this is an essential tool for my girl that will grow with her, […]

Legacy « Spectrummy Mummy