Goals

AutismLearningFelt

I’m joining in the Special Needs Blog Hop, and this week we’re talking about goals for the year.  The very word “resolution” brings out my rebellious side, so I’m hoping that I can stick to goals instead.

1.  The biggest thing is that in the summer we will move to a different continent.  Things still aren’t official yet, but hopefully they will be soon.  It will definitely be a change for us.  It will also be the first time we global nomads have braved this since Pudding’s diagnosis.  I’ve got a few months to research schools and therapists and put together a program we’re happy with.  No mean feat from thousands of miles away.  Ensuring that everybody is happy with that move is going to be the real challenge!

2. Take care of myself.  I’ve been very run down this winter.  Every other week I’ve had a bad cold, and when I feel unwell, I comfort myself with things that don’t help me out.  On days when I exercise, I do much better, so I’m going to try to do a work out every day, which is easier said than done with two little ones.  I need to be on top of my game for all the other things to come together this year.

3. Work on Cubby’s separation anxiety.  It would be nice to go to the bathroom alone, and to go one night where he doesn’t end up in our bed.  We did it with his sister, so I’ve just got to get him to the same point.  If I’m successful, it will lead me to my next goal….

4. Return to work.  We’re a family who desperately needs a second income.  I’ve really enjoyed the last few years being at home with the kids, so this last one will be hard for me.  We’ll see what happens after we move.

5. Blogging!  I’ve really enjoyed the last six months, and I know it is going to be a challenge to keep it going when things get crazy this year.  There are also a couple of other fellow bloggers I plan to meet up with before we leave.  That all should keep me pretty busy, I think!

How about you?  What are your goals for the coming year?

January 7, 2011 at 7:23 am

1. Wow, moving to a different continent is a big undertaking. It can’t be Ireland because Ireland isn’t a continent *sigh* but given that your husband is a diplomat you could end up here some day 🙂 Best of luck with it. Jen

Jen

January 7, 2011 at 9:51 am

• I’d love to live in Dublin, it wasn’t an option this time around, but maybe one day in the future. 🙂

January 7, 2011 at 11:47 am

2. I just had my first day with no kids in 3 years and actually discovered that there is a floor in my bedroom! At least part of one. An intercontinental move is HUGE with spectrummy children. Where are you headed? Maybe somebody out there could help.

janet

January 7, 2011 at 12:42 pm

• What is is with kids bringing their stuff to our rooms? That annoys me no end- there isn’t a single sacred tidy space in the whole house. We still aren’t certain we’re moving yet, but we’ll have a lot more help once we move, strangely.

January 7, 2011 at 1:26 pm

3. hi there,
    i’m shelley I am a special needs mom too! I had 2 pregnancies complicated by pre-eclampsia/toxemia and brought 2 32 weeker preemies into the world, my oldest will be 23 this year and had no complications other then her temper! lol but my younger daughter will be 19 next month and has cp, it has been a journey. When my kids were small i got frustrated at not being able to take them to play at the park, so i designed and created the first fully inclusive playground in Maryland after raising 1 million dollars to do so in 3 years… It was the first of it’s kind in our state and one of the first in the country… I went on and helped many around the country… and nowww I’m writing and love meeting other families with special needs children… OK that’s me in very short! lol
    i jumped onto this bloghop before writing a post… i guess i better get back to writing lol… best wishes on preparing for your big move! following along on the tweetster… stop by and say Hi!
    *waving,
    shelley

shelley

January 7, 2011 at 1:52 pm

• Your comment went to spam, so I’m just reading it now. How awesome that you created the playground, that is incredible. What is the name of it? It might be close enough for us to go there one day.

January 7, 2011 at 7:45 pm

4. those are some amazing goals for a great year ahead. I share #5 – you know that!!

January 7, 2011 at 2:13 pm

5. They are some fantastic goals for 2011 and I hope that you get them all done and share how you do with them all xx

6. Wow having to relocate to a new continent is kinda scary but yet totally exciting at the same time. Not really scary but it’s a whole new world in itself. I wish you luck on your move and hope that things go smoothly. Good Luck with your goals. Thanks for joining us in the blog hop.

Stacie