The next Post

South Africa (orthographic projection)

Image via Wikipedia

Today we got official confirmation that we will be moving to South Africa this summer.  It will be a huge change for us, a completely different experience.  It will be a lot of change: a new home, new school, new country, new continent.  Three years of our lives.  There are times I feel confident in the tools we have to explain moving to the kids, and there are times I feel like nothing could possibly prepare them for such monumental change.

The biggest challenge is going to be putting together an appropriate program from a distance.  We have a number of options, so now we have to work out which will be the most appropriate.  Pudding’s teacher has offered to liaise with her new educators, reminding me of what an asset we’ll be leaving behind.  We’ve scheduled evaluations for both kids to make sure we fully understand where they need extra support, and how we can best provide it.   I need to find therapists to continue the work we’ve been doing, but also we’ll have the opportunity to try some different approaches, such as hippotherapy, that have been out of our range here.  Broadening our horizons is different ways.

When we’ve worked out the details, we’ll move on to preparation.  There’ll be the mother of all social stories to write, there’ll be role-plays about moving, there’ll be books, and photos, web sites, and videos.  Preparing for the unknown.  There’ll be talking, so many words trying to explain, hoping that they’ll be understood.

There is so much to be done.  But for right now, there is breathing.   Inhaling, exhaling.  I’ve been holding my breath for so long, it feels like a sigh of relief.  A flutter of anticipation.  Johannesburg, here we come!

January 13, 2011 at 8:53 pm

1. Congrats! Good luck as you get everything in order to move. It sounds like you have a lot to do.

Becky

January 13, 2011 at 8:56 pm

2. OH! I’m excited for you and overwhelmed for you all at once! I’m glad you got your answer finally, and I know with you and Spectrummy Daddy leading the way, the kids will adjust, just fine.

Also, from a selfish standpoint, STILL INTERNET!, so we don’t lose your wonderful blog!!!! YAY!!!!

You know there’s an Aspie blogger native to Johannesburg, well S.A. anyway, his name is Julian and his blog is autismjungle. I don’t know if he might be a resource for you. 🙂

Good luck!

January 13, 2011 at 8:58 pm

• Thanks Laura! I just explored his site a little and discovered they have Toys R Us in S.A. Cool! 🙂

January 14, 2011 at 8:42 am

3. Very excited for you guys! Now we have to get that coffee in sooner rather than later 🙂

Jen

January 13, 2011 at 10:05 pm

4. How exciting! South Africa is supposed to be beautiful 🙂 Hope the move goes well

Blue Sky

January 14, 2011 at 3:00 am

5. Wow–that’s so exciting! I am so looking forward to hearing all about your move and everything that comes after!

Kim

January 14, 2011 at 7:30 am

6. Save me a space on the sofa!

Courtney Fingar

January 14, 2011 at 10:31 am

7. Thanks all, we’re so excited. A little bit worried too, but mostly excited!

January 14, 2011 at 11:27 am

8. so happy for you! If anyone can coordinate all this, it’s you.

January 14, 2011 at 1:22 pm

9. It is time for the Weekly State Department Blog Round Up and you are on it!

It is found here:

If you would like the links to your site removed (or corrections are needed) please contact me. Thanks!

Becky

January 14, 2011 at 8:54 pm

10. Wow! Mother of all social stories is right! I know you’ll do a wonderful job preparing the kids as best you can. You can be a great resource for families with special needs who have to move overseas.
    I grew up as a military brat and some of the best years of my life were spent living in other countries – my childhood was so rich because of our travels. Excited for you all!

rhemashope

January 15, 2011 at 10:59 am

11. Oh that’s SO exciting!

I know that you are going to exceed all expectations and that Pudding is so blessed to have a mum like you to co-ordinate all this for her 🙂

January 16, 2011 at 7:30 pm

12. so exciting! I lived in South Africa (Cape Town) for several years prior to the FS. It remains one of my favorite countries ever. I don’t have any school advice, but let me know if you have any questions related to living there. It’s an amazing and beautiful place – you’ll love it!

Sadie

January 21, 2011 at 10:37 am

• Oh, good to know! I’m pretty sure I’ll have hundreds of questions as we get closer to leaving- you might just regret the offer. Thanks. 🙂

January 21, 2011 at 2:22 pm

13. I lived in South Africa for a while during college. It’s a great place to be! Lots of culture and diversity. Plenty of safaris and things that Africa is celebrated for, but without as many of the downsides, like being far from what we think of as civilization. Congrats!

Alex

January 21, 2011 at 7:34 pm

14. […] began by receiving official notification of Spectrummy Daddy’s next assignment.  Spoiler alert- it was to Johannesburg.  I drank lots of cups of tea, and figured out the […]