Be Prepared

No, I was never a scout, or brownie, or girl guide, or anything remotely similar.  Not me.  I was bookish and indoorsy as a kid.  And as an adult too, for that matter.  But the scouts do have it right with their motto.  These days I always try my best to be prepared.

Today I’m taking Pudding for an eye exam.  This will be her third.  The previous two were pretty disastrous.

The first time was when we were still living in Luxembourg.  Pudding was two, and she was surprisingly cooperative (though predictably wriggly) at first.  Then we got to the part with the magic eye pictures to determine her ability to see in 3D, and she just wouldn’t point to the picture.  I tried all kinds of ways to coerce her, but she refused.  I wasn’t too concerned, and put it down to her age.  I was almost due to give birth to Cubby, and a few weeks away from leaving the country.  I told myself that I’d get her checked out again when things calmed down.  Still waiting for that to happen!

So last January I found a developmental optometrist.  He was very patient, but she once again refused to cooperate with certain parts of the exam.  Only this time we had a full meltdown, and we got no further.  In the parts of the eye test that she’d participated with, there were no problems.  Once again, the depth perception portion of the exam went untested.  I’m certain that there are some underlying and treatable problems with her vision that compound her perception difficulties, if only we could get them tested.

Third time lucky.  But we can’t rely on luck.  So I found an app for the iPad with eye exams and we practiced looking at the letters, and her teacher has helped her to cover her eye and look at pictures.  I asked the OT to do the same in her session yesterday.  I took both kids on a practice visit to the optometrist’s office, and I made a social story with the photos I took there.  I looked into her eyes with part of her toy medical kit.  I can’t think of any further ways to prepare her.  And yet, I still think it is going to be a disaster.

Do the scouts have a badge for making an aspie have an eye test against her will?

On my honor, I will do my best.  We’ll see if I’ve prepared enough.

February 10, 2011 at 7:00 am

1. A friend of mine in Canada (who is a software guy) invented an app that I wonder if Pudding might like or would be useful for her iPad?
    Funcards Screencast Video
    Funcards is an iPhone and iPod touch app that lets you create fun and educational flashcards for your infant or toddler. Follow us on twitter @funcardsapp or visit us at http://funcards.indigo1.com/. Funcards is also available on the App Store at http://itunes.apple.com/app/funcards/id405436117

Courtney

February 10, 2011 at 7:27 am

• Hi Courtney,
      Probably wouldn’t be that useful any more for Pudding, but there is a site Htp://babieswithipads.blogspt.com that might want to review it, or there is a Facebook group for teachers in special ed who use iPads and iPods (iTeach special education) who review and recommend apps. The app looked very cool.

February 10, 2011 at 8:58 am

2. I’d say you are beyond prepared!! wow!
    do you think that the reason she gets freaked out at the 3D part is because she’s having problems seeing something there (or doesn’t like what she’s seeing?) It is pretty weird. I wonder if the meltdown at that part is an answer in itself.

February 10, 2011 at 7:45 am

• I think she either doesn’t see, or it is distorted. I thought the same thing, but they didn’t pursue it and just wanted to wait another year.
      I intend for it to go well, but I think all the preparation in the world won’t make it go well if she is uncomfortable. Sigh.

February 10, 2011 at 9:01 am

3. I’d say you get a merit badge, for sure!! If things do not go as planned, it surely won’t be from lack of being prepared!! Way to go mummy!! and Good Luck!!

joeysmommy

February 10, 2011 at 8:07 am

4. It’s one of the scout laws.. being brave. 🙂 How about a “friend” who can be with her to have an “exam” first. Maybe you can find another child to accompany her (if the doctor is willing) or at the least, maybe Ernie can go. In hospitals they use dolls to prep little kids for what will happen pre-surgery. Another option might be to see if you can come in when there are virtually no other patients, and everything is calm (no phones ringing, no waiting room TVs, etc.) I did this with my older aspie son to get dental work. We thought we were going to have to sedate him, but the autism-experienced pediatric dentist talked him through it very calmly. Ask your providers to schedule a longer appt. so they are not rushed. Just a few thoughts.

Karen

February 10, 2011 at 9:28 am

• I’m going to be the friend, and Cubby too. Both Upsy-Daisy and Ernie have been practicing with us too, and I’ll make sure they come along for their check-up too! We visited the office is yesterday and it was nice and quiet. We have lots of time, too. I suppose we won’t be any worse off than we are now if it doesn’t go well, but I’d really like to set my mind at rest with her vision, or get to work on it if there is a problem. The receptionist assured me he can handle it. The only thing I can’t bank on is her cooperation. Hopefully stickers and candy will help with that, but they might not!

February 10, 2011 at 9:38 am

5. You sure sound prepared!

Crossing my fingers and toes for you all, hope it goes swimmingly!

February 10, 2011 at 7:18 pm

6. Well, you’ve certainly done your best! It’s amazing how helpful the iPad is, eh? Does she have a cuddly toy that may need an eye test too??

Good luck!

xx Jazzy

Jazzygal

February 13, 2011 at 6:22 pm

7. […] that you’re preparing for problems in the future?  I’m in awe!  Oh wait, I prepared that time we went to the eye doctor.  Still, googling potential pitfalls?  You take it to a whole new level.  I’m […]