Sick to Death

I’d been looking to going out for my husband’s birthday for…..well, since whenever the last time was I got out of the house without the kids.  The fact that I can’t remember when that was speaks volumes.  This has just been a rough winter for our family.  So on Friday when Cubby seemed even clingier than usual, I hoped for the best.  I took his temperature and it read 103F.  Of course.

I stayed home.  Again.  There are now calls for my husband to take a photo of me with today’s newspaper to prove I’m still alive.  After all, anyone could update a Facebook or Twitter status, or write a blog post with the words “centre” and “colour” deliberately misspelled to look authentically British.  I mean, when was the last time you spoke to me?!  Of course, things aren’t that bad, but I do kind of miss the outside.

Apart from waking up a little extra in the night, he wasn’t so bad.  And on Saturday and Sunday he was just fine.  Perhaps a little off his food, perhaps a little cranky, but that is hard to detect in a toddler who delights in being both picky and cranky.  We stuck close to home just in case, and I got some spring cleaning done, like cleaning our very sticky dining room carpet.

On Monday I was getting Pudding ready for school, when he was suddenly violently sick.  Of course, on the dining room carpet.  It just looked too fresh and clean to belong in our house, I suppose.  I took him upstairs, and he was sick all over our bed.  I asked him if he was sick, but he replied that no, he was sad.  Poor boy.  I cleaned him up, sent Pudding off to school.  He took a nap, and woke up in time for a quick snack before we left to collect Pudding to take her for her speech therapy session.  I debated canceling, but we’d missed the previous two sessions.  Besides, he seemed fine after the nap.

He wasn’t.  He was sick in spectacular fashion on the way there, to Pudding’s fascinated horror, and then again on the way home.  I removed his clothes in the kitchen, and as I went to get a cloth to clean him up, he vomited again.  And then slipped in it and banged his head in it.  Sigh.  I gathered him up, and he transferred the whole mess to me and my hair.

He was the kind of clingy that meant even the briefest of showers had a background of screaming.  Only after I got out did I realize I hadn’t washed my hair.  Sigh.  In all this time, Pudding had precisely none of my attention, a circumstance that she was determined to rectify.  I poured a bath for Cubby, and she immediately stripped all her clothes off to join him.  I told her that there would be no bath for her.  Cubby was sick, and needed to get clean.

Pudding– PUDDING’S SICK!!!

Me– Oh really, Pudding?  You’re sick too?

Pudding– Yes, I’m sick.  I need some medicine.  You take medicine when you’re sick.

Well, she got me on that one, but I still denied the bath.

***

The next day I was still dealing with a sickly boy, when I got the call from the school to collect Pudding.  She was listless and asking to lie down.  I got her into the car, and asked if she was sick.  And this time, this time she replies:

-No, I’m NOT sick!!!  Cubby’s sick.  Cubby’s wearing pyjamas.  I don’t want to wear pyjamas, I want to wear a dress.  I don’t want to go to bed.  I’m NOT sick.

And then the rest of the day did a very good demonstration of how she was not sick, but extremely out of sync.  Eventually she developed a fever, so she is still home.  She is off her food too, which is most un-Puddinglike.  Perhaps this is the incubation period before things get messy.

***

Having observed my kids this winter, I think illness magnifies their sensory tendencies.  Cubby, my sensitive avoider, wants everything to be calm and quiet.  He is content to lie down (as long as I’m there with him) and read books.  He loses his ability to tolerate his sister’s closeness and noise-making.  Pudding, my underresponsive seeker, seems to be looking for yet more input to regulate herself.  As much of a struggle as it can be for them to be together when they’re well, it is so much worse when they are ill.  I’m right in the middle, trying to keep both of them happy, and not doing such a stellar job of it.  I just need to avoid catching it myself.

So that is where we are this week.  If I go quiet on the social media, you’ll know why.  But if a short post about colour centres hits your inbox, ask my husband about that picture with today’s newspaper, would you?

March 17, 2011 at 6:54 am

1. Oh, how I feel for you right now!! Stomach sickness is the worst in children…. Sending you good thoughts and wishes for a healthy home very soon!! =)

joeysmommy

March 17, 2011 at 8:08 am

• It is. Poor little Cubby was horrified at what happened to him. Thanks for your good wishes. 🙂

March 17, 2011 at 8:38 am

2. Good luck, Spectrummy Mummy. Hope your kids will get better soon, and that you’ll at least manage to have a long, relaxing bath for yourself, when that happens – with extra hair conditioner!

S

March 17, 2011 at 8:10 am

3. Oh SM, your week has completely and entirely SUCKED! Hasn’t it!?
    I really hope that this nasty virus gets the hell outta your house ASAP! This is just not on!

And I cringed in recognition about being covered in your child’s vomit, as well as the carpet, the car,the bed,the floor…. *sigh*
    Sending big hugs xx

March 17, 2011 at 8:11 am

• Oh yes, I’m sure anyone who has young kids can commiserate with this one. He seems to pick up a bug every time we go in a waitng room, and he spends A LOT of time in waiting rooms. Sigh. Thanks for the hugs, my friend.

March 17, 2011 at 8:40 am

4. Oh!!! Hope everyone gets well soon, and , YES …please have SpectrummyDaddy provide that proof of life, would you? 😉

March 17, 2011 at 9:08 am

5. I am so sorry–it sounds like you (and the children) have had a brutal week–and winter. On the bright side, Spring arrives Sunday evening:) Hang in there Super Mom!

KPS

March 17, 2011 at 9:09 am

6. We’ve had that nastiness go through our house too, I thought I was never going to be able to see real people again either!
    Hope that everyone is on the mend quickly.
    By the way I think your spelling is perfectly correct, but as a Canadian I do spell like a Brit!

Bakingmommy

March 17, 2011 at 10:53 am

• Oh yes, real life people. I remember them. As a Canadian your spelling must be perfect then. 🙂

March 17, 2011 at 2:51 pm

7. oh you need a break. from all the illness and everything. Buy a mask and stay healthy!

March 17, 2011 at 11:16 am

8. Ooohh… I used to be just like you with sick kids and sick me ALL the time… it will get lots better as they get older. In fact you’ll get to the point when you realize no one has been sick in months. Of course today I had to pick up my 17 year old daughter from school and had to make a pit stop on the way home due to her vomiting. 😦

Karen

March 17, 2011 at 12:20 pm

• Oh no! I hope she feels better soon. Yes, it would be nice to go months without illness, we can’t even go a week at the moment!

March 17, 2011 at 2:49 pm

9. Oh dear, a tough time for all in your house at the moment. I do hope your little ones feel better soon. It’s so hard when they’re sick, I hate to see them like that!

xx Jazzy

Jazzygal

March 17, 2011 at 12:52 pm

• The little guy is back to normal (minus all his baby fat). It really is hard to watch them like that though.

March 17, 2011 at 2:46 pm

10. Most certainly not a good week at your house! I hope they’re feeling better quickly, and you can get a much deserved break…alone!

Flannery

March 17, 2011 at 2:14 pm

11. Poor Cubby, Poor Pudding and Poor Mummy! What a week. Hope you all have a better day tomorrow

courtney

March 17, 2011 at 3:58 pm

12. I hope everyone is better soon and that you avoid it! I agree with the earlier poster, when our youngest hit 3 we all spent a lot less time sick. Hang int here and good luck!

Becky

March 17, 2011 at 4:02 pm

13. Hang in there for a few more days. You can go out all you want when we get there next week. Give both of them hugs and kisses from Oma and Opa.

Oma

March 17, 2011 at 7:08 pm

14. Oh No!!! There is nothing worse than sick kids and all the mess that goes with it….I hope they are feeling better soon and you don’t get sick as well.
    Hugs–L

Lizbeth

March 17, 2011 at 8:21 pm

15. So sorry you had to deal with all that. I’ve definitely been there. Having sick kids is awful, and when they’re little and making messes everywhere, it’s even worse. One year we all caught a nasty bug while I was seven months pregnant, and my husband was living in another state during the week for work. He came home to visit just long enough to get infected himself and to have to be sick away from home. My oldest recovered first, and I had to ask a friend at one point to bring him some food, because I just couldn’t manage even getting to the kitchen. Good times. I feel for you. Glad to see in your latest post that Cubby is all better.

Diane

March 18, 2011 at 1:11 pm

16. My goodness! I did not see this post the first time round. Hope everyone has recovered by now and that you never caught it! Seems that way from the lovely picture you posted of the family at the White House! Many hugs for what you went through a couple weeks ago!

April 5, 2011 at 9:12 am

17. It’s the worst when little ones get sick. I’m glad that your kids are feeling better. I don’t know about others, but my Aspie son refuses to take medicine. The worst is he gets car sick too, so going to the doctors only makes things worse. I love how tough your kids are. It seems that if your kids admit they’re sick, it’s like admitting defeat. Which is something autistic kids won’t do.

Jim Reeve

January 22, 2012 at 7:06 pm

18. Ugh … nothing worse than sick, pukey kids!

mjperlman@me.com