Birthday Boy

Today is Cubby’s 2nd Birthday.

We can have small conversations, he and I.  Something I never take for granted.  Something I was never sure would happen, even before we saw signs of autism in Pudding.  A couple of weeks ago, it was a balmy 70F and we were at the park, having such a conversation.  I told him that we were having a birthday party soon for him, like we’d had for Daddy.  He remembered birthday cake.  He told me he wanted a train cake.  I told him I’d do it.  He told me he wanted the bouncy castle.   Why not?  Balloons.  No problem.  He told me he wanted pretzels, taquitos, guacamole, fruit and candy.  I agreed.  Your day, your way, little dude.

Then he kept talking about his party, day in, day out.  He’d have two candles on his cake.  His friends S, A & K would be there.  He never wavered in his selections.  He had the vision for his party, I just had to deliver it.  He was just so excited.  The kid who spend too much time in waiting rooms.  Whose needs are sometimes crowded out by his sister’s demands.  The one who has to go with the flow, because the flow almost always has to go whichever direction Pudding determines.  I was going to make it happen.

Of course, he got a cold last week, and of course, he passed it on to me.  But I was still determined to make the party happen just the way he wanted.  Thankfully his grandparents came to help out.  Then, and this is where I began to shake my fist at the sky, it snowed!  Not much, but enough to thwart outdoor activities.  But I had promised my boy that bouncy castle, so we brought it inside.  I’d promised my boy all those foods, and I found or made egg, milk, and wheat free versions of them all.  He had the best birthday of his short life.  All his friends came, and were thrilled to bounce, and feast on Cubby’s favourite things.  He got the most amazing presents from our very generous friends.  Our house is now stuffed with cars, trucks, trains and superhero toys.  He didn’t want the party to end.  He fought going to sleep for as long as he possibly could, trying not to let the day end.

Through all of this, his sister did wonderfully.  There was a slight confusion about who gets to open presents, but she managed to back off before it got ugly.  With being ill, I hadn’t had chance to make her a social story, which makes the fact that she held it together so well even more impressive.  For once all the attention was on him, and she did nothing to interfere with that.  I’m calling that her gift to him.  It was the day of his dreams, he deserves no less.

The very strange thing, is that this was all supposed to be very different.  When I was pregnant with Cubby, his ultrasounds revealed abnormalities.  We prepared ourselves that he would be our special needs child, little knowing that we already had one in Pudding.  Two years ago in Luxembourg, our little guy came into our world.  We expected the worst, and hoped for the best, something that I don’t seem to have stopped doing ever since.  Yesterday was another one of those days tipped towards hope.  Thinking about the rush of love I felt when I finally held my little fighter, I can’t help but expect there will be many more just like it.

Happy Birthday, my sweet boy, you exceed my expectations every day.

Needless to say, the train cake isn't sugar-free!

Cubby, Pudding and friends on the indoor bouncy castle.

March 28, 2011 at 7:27 am

Posted in Sibling

Tagged with , , , , ,

1. YEA! Happy Birthday to that adorable little guy! What a gift for you all.

March 28, 2011 at 7:31 am

2. Happy Birthday, Cubby!!! What a lovely gift Pudding gave to her brother, a perfect birthday party, without a meltdown. I’m so glad this all went so well, and what a terrific cake! Now, I hope the recovery from party day goes well, too. Hugs and happiness to you all.

Varda (SquashedMom)

March 28, 2011 at 7:34 am

3. Happy Birthday Cubby!! It may have been your birthday, but the real gift was for your Mommy!!

joeysmommy

March 28, 2011 at 7:36 am

4. Happy Birthday Cubby, and what a gorgeous cake:)

Blue Sky

March 28, 2011 at 7:47 am

5. Happy Birthday Big guy!!!

March 28, 2011 at 9:10 am

6. Great story. I love the idea of this tiny little boy with his crystal-clear vision of what he wanted his birthday to be. How great that you found ways to delivery on all of it

courtney

March 28, 2011 at 9:52 am

7. What a great birthday!!! I think everyone got a present, including mummy. What a wonderful mum you are. You all will remember this day for a long time.

P.S. I tagged you in a meme, but don’t worry if you can’t do it.

Flannery

March 28, 2011 at 9:59 am

8. a wonderful tale of a pefect bday! the cake looks really cool too!

Selina

March 28, 2011 at 10:27 am

9. You are an awsome mommy! I know you probably hear that every day but you are. You were sick and without reservation gave everything to make his day special. I’m so happy his day went well…and the bouncy castle to boot. Pudding and Cubby have the best mom ever, now go get some rest. 😉

Lizbeth

March 28, 2011 at 11:00 am

10. I am so glad it went well! (Love that cake.) You are such a great mom.

Becky

March 28, 2011 at 11:38 am

11. So happy for you that Cubby got to have his very Happy Birthday! I love the cake, BTW. 🙂

Diane

March 28, 2011 at 12:34 pm

12. Lovely….Happy Birthday!!!

alienhippy

March 28, 2011 at 1:45 pm

13. Hi,

I don’t have your contact info. That’s the only reason I am using comment section. I am also a parent and really admiring you the way you are handling and taking care of your kid.

I have just started a ChildrenHaveTalent blog especially for children who are living with disability and/or health conditions. Here parents will be able to add their child’s talent in various categories like singing, painting, drawing and so on.
    Please try to use this blog.
    My main goal is to reach out all the parents so that they can start using this blog to give their kid a new horizon.
    If possible please give me some feedback as a parent did you like this idea?

Blog Name: Children Have Talent
    Blog URL: http://childrenhavetalent.blogspot.com/

Thanks,

Nupur

Children Have Talent

March 28, 2011 at 11:29 pm

14. Happy Birthday to Cubby!! Life is full of its ironies isn’t it? Your post made me cry. How lovely that he could have that conversation and tell you all the details. How beautiful your expression of love for him to make it all come true with the cold to boot! I’m glad that Pudding gave her brother such a wonderful birthday too. And the cake looks adorable!! ((Hugs)) to you all!

March 29, 2011 at 12:19 am

15. Thanks everybody! Cubby is still on cloud 9 with all his new toys, though I expect some tears when the last of the train cake departs the station today!

March 29, 2011 at 9:50 am

16. The cake is impressive!!! So glad that the day was just as special as your little guy is! May he have many many more happy wonderful birthdays.

Sharon

March 29, 2011 at 1:46 pm

17. Awwww! Happy Birthday to your little man! Love that cake!

therocchronicles

April 1, 2011 at 8:56 pm

18. […] March, Cubby was chatting up a storm, and we celebrate his birthday.  Pudding went swimming with Miss Arizona.  We had a Yes Day, which is the perfect relief from […]