Cubby’s Words

One of my early posts was sharing some of Pudding’s words.  Even though he doesn’t have the difficulties with language that his sister does, I thought it was about time I did the same for her brother.  His quirky little personality is just starting to emerge.  Here are some of the gems we’ve had lately:

To me showing him what I thought was a picture of a truck in a book:

No, that’s not a truck.  It’s a backhoe. (To the mirth of nearby shoppers, who enjoy seeing a thirtysomething woman being smacked down by a toddler.)

At the playground, upon seeing the bichon frise dog that once bit me:

Mummy, I see a sheep!

Me: No, honey, it’s a dog.

[angrily, to me] No, it’s a sheep.

[To the dog] Baa baa.  Baa baa.  Sheep say baa.  Sheep: say baa!

Daddy and I were in the car discussing pantaloons, a costume used in the period drama, Downton Abbey.

I want pant balloons, please!

While holding his boy parts as I changed him:

This is a carrot. (I think he misheard “privates”.)

One morning, at the breakfast table:

F&%K!  F&%K!  F&%K!

Eventually:

I need a F&%K! (After much hyperventilating, realizing that he is requesting a fork for his waffle.  Phew.  Not that he’d have gotten that word from me!)

Do you have any kid gems you’d like to share?  It is going to be a long day, putting in the autism miles to get to the sibling study, so I could use a good laugh.

March 31, 2011 at 7:16 am

1. bwahaha these are great 🙂

tmbmt

March 31, 2011 at 7:21 am

2. Lol! I love smiling at a good post early in the morning! Ty! I have one from my 5-year-old (nt):
    “Mooom, can I have something to drink?”
    “Sure, what do you want?”
    “I’ll give you a hint -it’s apple juice.”

I wish all “hints” were that good!

Cgregoryrun

March 31, 2011 at 7:35 am

3. Okay if you want a good laugh I will share with you a funny little ditty. It is not a play on words but it is one of those Out of the Mouths of Babes type story that cracks me up. My daughter was asking me one day if I had ever smoked a cigarette. I thought it would be a perfect time to make a very important point so I said, “Yes, once and I hated it it because it made me very sick.” My daughter who was 5 at the time put her hands on her hips shook her head in disapproval and said to me, “Mommy you disappoint me. No wonder I have asthma!” Then she walked away. OUCH!

4. these are awesome. hurray for words!! 🙂

March 31, 2011 at 8:41 am

5. very funny!!

joeysmommy

March 31, 2011 at 8:57 am

6. Just. Awesome.

Varda (SquashedMom)

March 31, 2011 at 9:04 am

7. It was around the time of a patriotic holiday with images and symbols of Americana everywhere. My youngest son, who was probably about 6 at the time, was given an unpeeled banana for breakfast. Holding his banana up in the air like a torch, he said “Look mom, I’m the monkey of liberty!”

Karen

March 31, 2011 at 10:47 am

8. I wish I would have written down all of *AJ’s he was so funny. They grow up so very fast. Love and hugs. Lisa. xx 🙂

alienhippy

March 31, 2011 at 11:50 am

9. Do you remember us telling you that when he was a toddler your brother J wanted a “football kitten” (meaning kit} for his birthday.

Bob Waller

March 31, 2011 at 1:05 pm

10. These are great. The other day, my 7 yo son (who is on the spectrum) was annoyed by his younger sister who wouldn’t stop making noises. Danny was preparing to say the evening prayers, but couldn’t concentrate because of his sister. So, he yelled at her, “Charlotte, I CAN’T work under these conditions!!!”

Patty

March 31, 2011 at 2:12 pm

11. haha! i don’t even know what a backhoe is!
    my 4 yr-old is always singing “The Farmer in the Hell.”

rhemashope

March 31, 2011 at 10:03 pm

• Pudding would sing “The Farmer: aunt Adele” which I adored. Particularly as said aunt would die rather than be caught in wellies!

April 1, 2011 at 2:10 pm

12. HA ha ha ! You made me laugh!!! Here are a few of mine:
    My son [now 15] called the game chess CHEST for nearly 6 years. It was ridiculous. 🙂
    He also asked me one day, “Mom, how do you pop a boob?” I said, “A WHAT?” he says, “A BOOB.” I say, “A BOOB?” [thinking, where the heck did he get that word? what is going ON?] I finally got down to the matter. He thought that boobs were balloons, and wanted to know how to pop them.
    One day in the car with my sister, I tell her [we are driving around] “I always wanted a white mustang…” About 5 whole minutes later he asks me, “Mom, WHY do you want a white mustache?” That whole time, he thought that I had been wanting a white mustache! ha ha ha!

visionofautism

April 1, 2011 at 1:14 am

13. Cubby – so cute, mostly- where oh where, did he get the potty mouth?! Mine just asks “What color is the green car, mommy?” to play teacher with me. 🙂

April 4, 2011 at 12:37 am

14. Hmm I don’t know what a backhoe is either! Would love to know how the ‘sheep’ responded in the park… (over from Blog Gems)

Blue Sky

April 25, 2011 at 1:53 pm

15. Those are really really funny…Mine have said some similar things..once when we were in the grocery-I dropped a can on my foot and muttered “something” to which one of my boys exclaimed at the top of his lungs “Did YOU SAY F*%K?? Because that is not polite!!” 🙂

Kathleen

April 25, 2011 at 8:22 pm

16. The last one still has me laughing lol Such funny examples. : )
    over from blog gems

One Rich Mother

April 27, 2011 at 7:47 am

17. Very, very funny!

Perhaps you need to work on your articulation? 😉

Barbara

April 27, 2011 at 8:12 pm

18. Those are good! We use the word “privates” and whenever the word private is used for anything else he giggles like crazy!

Thank you for participating in Blog Gems!

Jean@MommyToTwoBoys

April 29, 2011 at 1:20 pm

• Ha ha! I never thought of that. You’re right- that word is going to come back to haunt me!

April 29, 2011 at 3:46 pm

19. […] – This should totally be a […]

20. […] for us though, I’m curious… bichon+frise+bit+me Yes, me too earlier this year.  Cubby swore it was a sheep though. feeling stressed and anxious being mummy Oh yes, you’ll find that here.  In good […]

21. […] isn’t a day that goes by when I don’t marvel at this boy’s language skills.  His ease at expressing himself and his emotions, so strikingly different from his older […]

22. […] March, Cubby was chatting up a storm, and we celebrate his birthday.  Pudding went swimming with Miss Arizona.  We had a […]