That Kid is Mine

Well, here it is.  The beginning of Autism Awareness Month.  The chances are that if you have been here before, you are already pretty aware.  This month is about trying to reach those who aren’t aware.  It is about shining a blue light that gets people talking about autism.  It is about making sure the doctor who dismissed your concerns about your child that they were wrong to do so, a wait-and-see approach is the worst thing for a child on the spectrum.  It is about helping that bewildered parent see just why their child behaves so differently.  It is about helping that child or adult realize that those differences are what makes them so special.  Though there are many challenges for the individual and their families to face, they are never alone.

Thanks to the efforts of incredible people who have gone before us, this journey has been made easier than it might have been.  We should never take for granted the fact that schools provide her with a free and appropriate education, that there are therapies to give her the tools to cope in our world, that there are resources to help me to understand my child, and help her to understand us.  We only have those things because so many have advocated, not just for their own needs, but for all of us.  They did that by raising awareness, by pushing against the conventional wisdom and demanding acknowledgement and inclusion.  We let them down if we stop doing that.  We let our loved ones down.

When I wrote my piece for Parents, I wanted to let the readers know that 1 in 110 is not just a number.  That number is a person.  In our case, that kid is mine.

It was published on April 10th, and you can click here to read what I wrote.  While you are there, check out the range of diverse stories that make up the Voices of Autism series.

April 1, 2011 at 7:29 am

1. you are so not alone. I have two on the spectrum. Life can be difficult and challenging at best. I live for the days of where all is calm and non chaotic. I live for life to be easy. I also wouldn’t change this difficult path for all the tea in china. My children have taught me accpetence and how to be understanding. they have also taught me how to be creative about manuvering this difficult water and that love can triumph all. My little peice of the net is my outlet for stresses and making others aware. The Blue light will be burning here in Germany tonight.

crazysarah

April 1, 2011 at 7:41 am

2. […] That Kid is Mine « Spectrummy Mummy's Blog […]

3. Love this post! Ironically, I wrote a post about autism and didn’t know it was autism awareness month.

4. Beautifully written…. I hope Parents uses it in an ENTIRE issue on Awareness. I hope they use many of the wonderfully written and hopeful letters that were sent there way….. Any of these children, could be any of our children…… Just sharing stories like this can help sooooo many!!! Great job!!

joeysmommy

April 1, 2011 at 8:07 am

• I would dearly like that too, imagine all those people that could be reached. It starts with awareness- we’re on our way!

April 2, 2011 at 8:41 am

5. Beautiful 🙂 can’t wait to read it on their sight. You will help so many.

April 1, 2011 at 8:46 am

6. Well said. When we were first given the daignosis I was fearful I couldn’t handle it. Now I know this is who my son is, what he was born to be and he’s beautiful. I would not have it any other way.
    Thank you for your words.

Lizbeth

April 1, 2011 at 10:08 am

7. You have done a fabulous job with this post today!! To thank all those that came before us and helped to make our path a little easier is something that should not be overlooked, but I did, until you made me realize with your words how important that acknowledgment is!

Your post to Parents’ Magazine is perfect. Parents looking to see how they might feel with a new diagnosis or to understand an extended family member or friend, have it explained it clearly and succinctly and with love and that is some kind of talent!!

April 1, 2011 at 10:11 am

8. I understand the bit where you wrote that you felt too ordinary to be the parent of a special needs kid….let me tell you….you are an awesome parent, advocate and writer 🙂

Fi -From the Madhouse-

April 1, 2011 at 7:14 pm

• hAaw, thanks so much Fi! There are definitely days I don’t feel that way. It takes one to know one. Thank you for all that you do.

April 2, 2011 at 8:44 am

9. You have a way of explaining exactly what I feel as I too am “too ordinary” for my special child. Thank you for writing such a heartfelt, thoughtful post.

Sue

April 2, 2011 at 3:59 am

• I think whoever was deciding these things got it right. There is no perfect mother, but you are exactly what your sweet girl needs. 🙂

April 2, 2011 at 8:45 am

10. Mummy, your words are beautiful, you speak to our hearts. I am speachless.

Selina

April 2, 2011 at 10:35 pm

11. […] This time last year, I wrote: “…I wanted to let the readers know that 1 in 110 is not just a number.  That number is a person.  In our case, that kid is mine.” […]