Lighting It Up Blue at The White House

We joined a little late, but we were there to ask The President to Light It Up Blue.  The White House is still white, but one day it will be blue.  Awareness takes time.  Two years ago we had no idea that Pudding would be diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder.  Last year on this day I tentatively updated my Facebook status and started to talking to everyone I knew about autism and how it had affected our lives.  A few months later I began writing this blog, and started telling everyone I didn’t know about autism in our lives.  It seemed fitting that we should be there.

One day I HOPE The President will CHANGE his lights to blue.  I hope he will shine a light on autism and raise awareness in a way that all the bloggers in the world together could never achieve.  For those of us who live and breathe, and talk and write about autism every day, awareness seems so unnecessary.  A blue light seems so redundant.  Then I think about the teenager who is bullied and ostracized because she is different, a man who is starting to understand why he finds it so hard to hold down a job, the child who can’t make friends, the mother who has never been called “mama” by her child, the soldier away at war fighting a battle on two fronts.  For those who have gone before us, those on the journey with us, and those who will join us one day, a blue light is so necessary.

More than anything I think of the mother I was two years ago, then one year ago, then today.  How much it would have helped to have seen a blue light shining.  To know there was someone nearby who gets it.  We wanted The President to light it up blue for everybody to see.  Our family won’t be here next year to ask him, but we will be lighting up our corner of the world.

At the end of the month, Jess will act as our emissary to The White House.  She won’t be alone.  The 565 of us who commented on her campaign to get The President to light The White House blue will be there in spirit.  If anyone can get this done, she will.  Awareness takes time.  It might take until the end of the month to get The White House blue, or it might take another year, it might even take longer, but it WILL happen.

The White House will be blue.

April 2, 2011 at 6:17 pm

1. *applauding* Yes!

Niksmom

April 2, 2011 at 6:19 pm

2. This.Was.Beautiful.
    What a gorgeous picture of your amazing family. I’m so happy you were there.
    You are awesome, my friend. And so is this post.

April 2, 2011 at 6:23 pm

3. We wanted to go but everyone in our house is sick today. It has been a BLUE pajama day for us. I have felt guilty about that actually but like you said… every day for us is Autism Awareness Day. Thank you for going and I will make a deal with you. Next year I will go in your place and I will hopefully be going to see the President switch the lights to blue.

4. That is quite a travel to make a point!! I SO admire you a million times over!! Absolutely brilliant post – you said it for all of us so eloquently! Your family is beautiful and brave. (Would love to hear how the actual travel part went!)

April 2, 2011 at 6:57 pm

• Ooh, it isn’t too far to travel for us. We live in northern VA. Spectrummy Daddy works in DC. 🙂

April 4, 2011 at 12:01 pm

5. You Rock! 🙂 I’m thankful for people like you, and me, and all the other amazing women I have connected with online that care so much about their children and autism. Thank you!
    Daleth

visionofautism

April 2, 2011 at 7:04 pm

6. Yes, to all you said. Yes to ALL of it.

dragonslayermama

April 2, 2011 at 7:05 pm

7. And THANK YOU for having the courage to go to the White House and proudly display your sign. One day…. Hopefully sooner than later. Hopefully tonight? I still have hope.

dragonslayermama

April 2, 2011 at 7:06 pm

8. Change takes time. It does. I’m settling back into that notion after having been so very upset the other night that I wrote a bloggish FU to our president. I was angry, really angry. But I”ve settled now. Thank you for posting and for being there today when so many others could not.

Aimee Velazquez

April 2, 2011 at 8:44 pm

9. Yes, I believe one day, the White House will be blue; however, I do not expect it as long as the present administration occupies the White House. We have an uncaring administration. The people of this country are not important to him and I refuse to call him my P——-t. He swore to protect and defend this country and he has failed to even make an effort. I have an Autistic grandson, who, at 16 years of age is far more compassionate. God bless you and your family and may He especially bless Pudding.

Helen Parker

April 2, 2011 at 9:04 pm

10. Thanks for going and representing all of us who couldn’t be there! 🙂

Karen

April 2, 2011 at 9:33 pm

11. amen, sister. amen.

jess

April 2, 2011 at 9:56 pm

12. I had a thought while driving yesterday…I wonder if the Queen would be up for it. Buck Pal in Blue, what do ya think? 🙂 xx

alienhippy

April 3, 2011 at 2:35 pm

13. […] was just my awareness.  That was never going to be enough.  I’m just a drop.  I talked here about how I’d tentatively, nervously updated my Facebook status.  A trickle of people knew […]

14. […] was all about Autism Awareness, of course.  We even went to ask The President to Light It Up Blue.  It was full of highs like Pudding beginning to write, and the lows of anxiety.  I had that […]