Memories

Pudding has an awesome memory.  We’ve never had it tested, but every once in a while she’ll say something that tales my breath away.  She has been able to recite entire books from the age of two.  She remembers what dress she wore on her 2nd birthday.  She remembers almost everything that everyone has ever said to her, indeed this appears to be the way she learns language.  I have dark fantasies about abusing this gift by taking her to Vegas for some card-counting, but have managed not to exploit it yet, even though the chips are down (ha ha).

I don’t intend to imply that Pudding has any savant skills.  She is no Rain Man, and is way cuter than Dustin Hoffman or Tom Cruise anyway.  I suspect rather that her memory skills have been sharpened because when the world gives you unpredictable and unreliable information, you have to use what you can to make sense of it all.  Her memory muscles simply work harder than ours do.  As she continues to develop, I’m hopeful that she will be able to use these skills effectively, and they’ll enable her to navigate the social world a little easier.  For now though, that memory can prove equal parts useful and problematic.

Take Wednesday.  Pudding has a half-day at school.  Every other week she has an OT session, but this was our week off.  Pudding was reluctant to go to school.  She is going through a phase of separation anxiety, and wanted to stay with me.  I promised her we’d do something later that she would enjoy.  Immediately she requested that we go to the mall.  Not a problem.  I promised, and she happily left on the bus.

I still had some chores to do, so decided to get them done in the morning so we’d have plenty of time to fulfill my promise.  At the store, Cubby went through his usual routine of taking off his shoes.  Rather than putting them back on for him to remove again, I placed them on the handy shelf below the shopping trolley/cart.  To distract him and keep his hands busy, I bought a warm soy milk from the “Mermaid Cafe”, which Cubby proudly told me was coffee.  We carried on shopping without incident, his shoes still riding below.  Even though I noticed as I put him back in his car seat, in the 20 seconds I took to return the trolley, I forgot them, and subsequently drove home without them.  Obviously, I do not have Pudding’s mad memory skills.

There was no time to go back before I had to get Pudding from the school bus, so I called to ask them to keep them for me until I could collect them.  Cubby wears custom-made orthopedic inserts due to problems with his legs turning in, so there was no question wearing different shoes- we only have the one pair.  By this time, Cubby was screaming tired, so I put him down for a nap.  I decided to be proactive and make dinner in the slow cooker.  I opted for Maple Dijon Chicken, but erm, forgot the Dijon.  Yes.  I swear I had a decent memory until I developed pregnesia carrying Pudding. I turned it up high, and added some rice.

Pudding’s greeting to me as I met the bus was, “I want to go to the mall now.”

Right.  The little glimmer of hope that she’d forgotten about that fizzled out.  I explained that we couldn’t go to the mall as I’d lost Cubby’s shoes, and we needed to collect them.  Cue unhappy Pudding.

When Cubby woke up, I bundled them both into the car, and we collected the shoes.  All the while, Pudding demanding we go to the mall.  To appease them both, I suggested that we went to the book store nearby.  Pudding ran to the Abby dolls again, Cubby went right for the trains.  Around 45 minutes later, I realized in my haste to leave, I’d forgotten to turn down the heat of the slow cooker.  I told the kids we had to leave again.  Evidently, this was a cue for the kids to pitch why I should buy them their favourite items.  Pudding was in no way appeased by my assertion that she had her own Abby doll at home.  She wanted that one.

Likewise Cubby didn’t care that he has a bunch of brand new trains at home from his birthday.  He needed Salty, an obscure diesel dockyard engine.  He doesn’t even watch the Thomas the Tank Engine show, but has a catalogue of engines that he studies.  Oh yes, I’m not even going to open that can of spectrummy worms right now!  He screamed that he wanted Salty, as I put him in a fireman’s lift on one shoulder, my backpack on the other, and shepherded a whining Pudding out of the store.

On the way to the car, Pudding remembers that she still wants to go to the mall, and begins her plaintive petition to go there.  Meanwhile, a still screaming Cubby recognizes the mermaid logo, and changes his yells for Salty to “I WANT COFFEE!  MUMMY, I NEED COFFFFFEEEE.”  Pudding decided to join in, only she wanted her coffee at the mall, as four year-old do.  My off-kilter sense of humour kind of relished the looks from everyone in the car park, as I looked exactly like the kind of flustered woman who does, in fact, pump double espressos into her high as kites young children.  Wonderful timing there, kids!

I drove home to find that the only useful thing I’d achieved all day- cooking dinner- looked and tasted exactly like vomit.  I served it up anyway, and amazingly the kids ate it.  I wonder how long it will take them to forget this particular act of motherly malevolence.

Try getting this image out of your mind!

Another day in our life.  Memories are made of these.  At least mine is goldfish short these days!

April 15, 2011 at 7:44 am

1. You are too funny!! I’v had those day – boy have I had those days!! Um, but about your dinner – until I saw the picture of your gourmet creation, I thought you were probably being hard on yourself – you werent’, it’s a big score for you that they actually ATE it, consider it a VICTORY!!

joeysmommy

April 15, 2011 at 8:11 am

2. LOL Must have been in the air yesterday. I had to put myself in mommy time out yesterday so I did not kill my kids! Thanks for the laugh! I needed it! Oh and FYI… my Meat loaf came out bad yesterday too. Like I said before… must have been in the air!

3. LOL! I can so envision your kids screaming about their need for coffee….in our younger days we offhandedly said to our Spectrum boy “No coffee/beer/wine/driving/etc. until you’re five” (he was about one at the time, so five seemed ages away. Needless to say, his fifth birthday was interesting as he demanded the keys to the car and a cup of coffee!

Tricia Ballad

April 15, 2011 at 9:50 am

4. Since I’ve been on the receiving end of it for the past week–yes it does look remarkably similar…..funny thing is, since they ate it they may actually ask you to make MORE vomit food!!! 😉

I swear, sometimes I wonder if they work on a ‘pack mentality’ and work together to get at you…I hope today is better!!!

Lizbeth

April 15, 2011 at 10:11 am

• You know, this whole gluten, dairy, egg, fish, peanut, tree nut cooking stuff would have been a lot easier if I hadn’t cared about how it tasted or looked. Sicky food from now on!

April 15, 2011 at 12:25 pm

5. Haha! Love it! I get SUCH a hard time at home from hubby and child for my bad memory. Especially from my son, his memory wouldn’t be as phenomenal as your pudding’s but it is quite good and he does astound me from time to time. he most certainly didn’t get it from me! But you know what? Us mums are soo busy ALL the time (says she, sitting on her laptop this past hour!)and we have to ‘think’ for all members in our household, all of the time. Sure it’s no wonder we keep forgetting stuff…

xx Jazzy

Jazzygal

April 15, 2011 at 11:13 am

• Yep- totally their fault! How am I my supposed to remember things when I’m dealing with organizing everybody else? Thanks for your letting me know I’m not alone in this!

April 15, 2011 at 12:27 pm

6. Wow, I made a dinner in the crockpot yesterday that looked EXACTLY like yours. I had to choke it down–I have texture issues.

Oh, I feel your pain. My son has an amazing memory, too and it has often been a curse for me, because he always remembers my little promises and getting him to relinquish them sometimes because of an emergency is near impossible.

Patty

April 15, 2011 at 11:24 am

• Oh, sorry. Eating sick is tough enough when you don’t have texture issues, and it really did feel the same. Bad, bad, food. I can’t believe the kids ate it. The husband did too, which is a testament of love if ever there was one.
      I hear you. And I think we seem to have more emergencies than anyone else, so we’re really doubly screwed over with this one!

April 15, 2011 at 12:29 pm

7. it actually looks kind of good to me – like a rice, chicken, carrot mix. no? ok.
    i love the image of both the kids yelling for coffee. it’s good to know i’m not the only forgetful, frazzled mama out there!

rhemashope

April 15, 2011 at 3:54 pm

• Rice, chicken & really overcooked sweet potatoes. And if that looks good, you’re welcome to dine here any time you’re in the neighbourhood!

April 15, 2011 at 4:40 pm

8. You create the perfect picture. ! I can just feel it with you when you realized Cubby’s shoes were still on the shopping cart. I know that you felt bad that you could not keep the promise to Pudding and then to try and make it up at the book store only to go home? The screaming for coffee is the best part!

I do the same things. My little guy jumped through hoops so I would take him on a drive by of all his favorite boulders after work and then I forgot and drove right past the exit. It was too late to go back and I felt bad. We just all do the best we can and you are doing great – they ate your dinner!! You must be doing something right! (Dinner looked pretty good to me too!) 🙂

April 15, 2011 at 7:05 pm

9. I have those memory problems too! Of course the Roc is the same-he never forgets anything!

Kim

April 15, 2011 at 8:47 pm

10. You had me giggling all the way through this!
    I’m pleased that other people have days like this as well but Im not pleased that you had to go through it!
    You’re awesome for turning it around and seeing the bright side and writing such an awesome post 🙂

Fi -From the Madhouse-

April 18, 2011 at 3:02 am

11. I’m more behind in my reading than usual. And having a larger number than usual of these kinds of days where things just get away from you. I think you muddled through quite well, and it makes a very amusing story for those of us who didn’t have to live through it. Hope you get some calmer days to balance this one out.

Diane

April 21, 2011 at 5:10 pm

12. […] we pass a building and she doesn’t know what it is, that must be rectified.  Luckily she has that awesome memory on her, and a near GPS-like mapping skill, so once she has been told it is a hotel, or a mall, and […]

13. […] but I’m too busy giving my children triple espressos.  Oh wait, were you a witness on this day?  Yeah, you might have a point in my case. i’m living in a constant deja vu Me too.  Wait, […]

14. […] had that revelation that my behaviour is communication.  Some of those days I’d be glad to forget.  I got the chance to tell Parents that the 1 child in 110 is mine, and I’m incredibly […]