Historic

I woke up today to the news: Osama Bin Laden is dead.

The latest in a series of historic events bringing change all around the world.  I swear I can feel the ground shifting beneath my feet.  I don’t know what the outcome will be of the push for change in the middle east, or what this event will signify for global terrorism, but I can’t help but hope, as always, for a better, safer world.  Perhaps my family will one day be safer because of these events.

In the meantime, we hold on until the plates stop shifting, and maintain vigilance.

April is over.

Autism Awareness continues in my house, and everywhere, every day of every year.  We’ve seen a month of historic change both at the political and personal levels.  Our fight carries on, but so do our triumphs.

We feel the aftershocks, and we keep holding on until the plates stop shifting.

So I begin today like anything other: hopeful and determined.  Celebrating victories, and preparing for the force of the impact.  Change happens, often when we least expect it.

Today both kids wished me a Happy Birthday at their father’s prompting, and gave me a card and gift.  But then after he had left for work, I saw Pudding had found a pen and looked over to see what she was drawing.

She handed me this (empty) envelope, with the words “Happy Birthday Mummy”, and a smile right between the eyes.

This year is going to be a good one

That is historic.

May 2, 2011 at 7:41 am

1. Nice…yes a great year to come:)

asd2mom

May 2, 2011 at 8:00 am

2. Happy Birthday!

May 2, 2011 at 8:29 am

3. Happy Birthday!! What a beautiful present from your little girl!! Wishing you a very Happy Year!!!

joeysmommy

May 2, 2011 at 8:32 am

4. Happy Birthday! Yes, it is so important for us to remember to cherish those moments which are monumentally historic in our personal lives, as well!

Niksmom

May 2, 2011 at 9:20 am

5. What a lovely present!

Becky

May 2, 2011 at 9:28 am

• The kids got me another gift, and of course, she helped me unwrap it. Birthdays belong to Pudding!

May 2, 2011 at 11:22 am

6. This, indeed, helps us to keep things in perspective. After I made a recent appeal on Facebook for prayers for 3 separate friends, another friend asked if I had any “good” news to report. That caused me to reflect that there are great things going on in our lives every day, but we impatiently wait on the Extraordinary bursts of God’s Favor to be happy. Like your daughter’s simple word on a piece of paper, my 21 year old going to a new job every day and my 16 year old doing his high school homework is an “everyday” victory for them and me!

Karen

May 2, 2011 at 9:41 am

• There are some extraordinary things happening all over right now. My heart goes out to those struggling in the aftermath, and with social media they touch us closer than ever before.
      Congratulations on your children’s achievements- more reasons to celebrate. 🙂

May 2, 2011 at 11:26 am

7. Happy Happy Birthday. This will be one birthday you will never forget for so many reasons!

• Nope, this will be etched in there. No doubt taking place of some appointment I forget. Thanks for the birthday wishes.

May 2, 2011 at 11:27 am

8. Happy Birhtday!!! That would look so nice in a frame…what a great birthday present!

Lizbeth

May 2, 2011 at 11:19 am

• Ooh, I never thought about that. And to protect the planet, she gets to recycle it for Mother’s Day toO!

May 2, 2011 at 11:28 am

9. That is historic!! Happy B-Day.

Big Daddy

May 2, 2011 at 10:28 pm

10. […] on Monday I washed it.  I’d been reading and reacting to the news all morning, and was late getting Pudding ready for school.  There was no time to do anything with […]