Comic Relief

I still feel guilty about not adequately preparing Pudding the last time we moved.  Oh, I know what you’ll say: how could you?  You didn’t know how!  Thank you, friend.  Now I do, and in some ways it is worse.  I’m more responsible this time around.  Somehow I have to make her ready for this move.  The problem is, I don’t know for certain that things won’t change.  We’re still putting her program together, and it looks increasingly likely that we can’t do many things until we’re over there.

The one thing we know for certain, that won’t suddenly change on us, is our housing.  We have been assigned a house, and requested photos so that I can show them to Pudding.  She is delighted with the photos.  She has already assigned everybody their bedrooms, though she does insist she’ll be sleeping in Cubby’s room.  It has a small swimming pool, and a nice garden, so she is very excited about it.  Too excited.  She looks at the photos daily on her iPad.  She asks to go there all the time.

Here is our problem.  Pudding still has a fuzzy sense of time.  We think she understands “now”.  She seems to appropriately use “later”.  She knows her days of the week and months of the year, but just as words, not concepts.  She knows she goes swimming on Sundays, for instance, but doesn’t know when Sunday is in relation to other days.  She tends to insist it is Sunday so she can get to go that day.

We don’t leave until the beginning of August.  While the remaining time is just a flash in the pan for we grown-ups who have things to do, it is an inconceivable amount of time to Pudding.  She wants to go to Africa (we dropped the South part for brevity’s sake) and she wants to go today.  When we tell her we aren’t going today, she just tries harder, convinced she will hit upon the right approach sooner or later.  After all, this works whenever she wants to go to the park.

When our friends were here, we were discussing what we might do for the day.  Pudding wanted to go to Africa, of course.  I explained for the umpteenth time that we weren’t, and she seemed to get it.  It was time to get going, so I asked her to go to the bathroom first.

“Potty for Africa!”  She grinned as she closed the bathroom door behind her.

The Potty for…technique was the reason we had to stop rewarding her for going to the bathroom during potty training.  The little wheeler-dealer would hold it until she extorted a cookie, or preferred treat every time.

We all laughed.  I was reminded of a telethon with an unconventional method for raising money for developing countries.  It sounds like a charity movement, I said.

Don’t worry, everybody here groaned too.  True comic relief.

May 26, 2011 at 7:23 am

1. I laughed too 🙂

And that’s the exact reason that we haven’t told our boys about our overseas trip yet lol!

But ours is only a holiday-not a live changing move … She’s adorable x

2. Too funny!!

So when I was pregnant, we used paper rings to countdown to the big “new baby” day. We cut out different colored strips of paper, and linked them together in a big chain. The number of strips equaled the number of days left before baby came. Each morning at breakfast, my son would rip off a chain. It was a great visual to show how many days were left, and you could also see it getting smaller and smaller. So if anxieties started to rise up, we were approaching it slowly. (and the cutting and stapling of the rings are good fine motor stuff, right? 🙂 )

May 26, 2011 at 8:34 am

3. We have also had the difficult of “concept of time” at our house. We show out little guy a calendar and say, “five more sleep nights until(well not Africa) but going to see NaNA and Pop” he does not always get it but it does help. I am sure that you have already thought of this or are already doing it.
    Another thought….bring Africa to you….pitch a tent, bring in some zebra and show Madagascar….it might work until August arrives….good luck!!!

cheairs

May 26, 2011 at 9:56 am

4. Love it! My boys made unique statements like that and it was always funny. When my oldest son was about 2 and his daddy was away at long-term military training, we had a special calendar that we made just for that time. We noted special things we would do while he was gone and had the daily ritual of crossing off the days. I liked the calendar because it was a life skill. He’s 21 now and very oriented to using our calendar hanging on the “frig” daily.

Karen

May 26, 2011 at 10:07 am

5. I laughed!
    To help Perky understand the concept of time, our early intervention autism unit teacher made an entire year of days, laminated so we could show him how long a year is! Now, we use a calendar, two years running I have bought very cheap, small (about 10cm x 10cm) square calendars, cut them up and stuck them to the wall in order. We cross off every day, and write important dates (birthdays, Christmas, school holidays) on there. It has helped enormously for Perky to learn: days of the week, the order of the months, and how many days until ‘x’. It might be worth doing something like this for Pudding’s countdown to moving day. We also have a laminated ‘yesterday’, ‘today’ and ‘tomorrow’ to attach to the top of the days of the week – Perky now knows how to move these. He really likes knowing which day it is and this helped him understand these concepts, too. I know you already have a gazillion things to do, but it might help Pudding learn these concepts in a very concrete way, especially as she is so motivated (I would be, too, a swimming pool! so exciting!)
    Good luck!!

DQ

May 27, 2011 at 3:03 am

6. The fact she was holding it to extort more goods—that’s brilliant! I’m liking your little girl!

Lizbeth