Win

Yesterday I won.  It was just a book, an autism-related book at that.

I’m not going to qualify it like that.

Yesterday I won.

I got something for free with hardly any effort on my part.  I didn’t win something, but lose in another area.  I didn’t win something, but discover that the prize came at a cost.  I had an unqualified win.  I needed it.

It feels like lately has been a series of Pyrrhic victories.  Progress in some areas and more difficulty in others.  Getting special education services for Cubby, but failing to get the occupational and physical therapy services he has been receiving.  Or the speech therapy services he is beginning to require.  Finding that her autism symptoms are lessening slightly, but gaining an additional three diagnoses.  Improving Pudding’s ADHD symptoms, but with worsening sleep issues.  Finally getting to try and add wheat back into the kids’ diets, but now a peanut allergy so severe we need an Epi-pen at all times.  Learning that I don’t have tuberculosis as suspected, but asthma bad enough to require medication for the first time in 13 years.

Overall we’re doing okay.  It feels like three steps forward and only two steps back, but it is taking all my effort these days.  I’m not my best self, and I’m hoping that what I have is good enough.  Familiar territory for me.  I’m a good enough soldier to keep battling on, taking victories where I can, and accepting strategic defeats.  I’ll even surrender some areas.  This is just life in the trenches at times.

But yesterday I won.  It doesn’t matter what.  It feels good.  I’m even starting to understand where Charlie Sheen was coming from.

I needed it.

Here’s to more wins for all of us.

June 30, 2011 at 8:58 am

1. YAY for winning! and just leave it at that. WINNING!
    (and Patty’s pretty awesome, so a great person to win something from…or some bad grammar like that)

June 30, 2011 at 9:20 am

2. Hey, winning is still winning! Nice! 🙂

I have friends who have a son with autism(but no ADHD, as far as I’m aware) and they give him a little melatonin in his milk before bed, they say that since they’ve started that his sleep issues have drastically improved. I have no idea, you’ve probably already tried all that stuff, my heart goes out to you.

I hope you win something else so you can tell everyone you’re “Bi-winning” and that you’re a “rock star from Mars” 😉

Actually, you can tell people you’re a rock star from Mars now…you WON!

Camille

June 30, 2011 at 9:53 am

3. A win is a win is a win!!!! Just enjoy it!!!!!!!

joeysmommy

July 1, 2011 at 8:12 am

4. A win, no matter how big or small, is a victory in my book. Take it and run with it!

Lizbeth

July 1, 2011 at 9:40 am

5. I am so glad you got a win!!! Yeah and yeah!!!! Yes, enjoy it!!!

6. May this win simply be the beginning of a long streak of wins!

Niksmom

July 2, 2011 at 12:01 pm

7. Goodness! Seems to me the real win is that you do not have tuberculosis! Asthma is not easy. My son has it and it is difficult but is controlled with medications. Sometimes, we get so focused on the battles we are fighting that we forget to step back and look from above. You have two of the most beautiful children I’ve ever seen (aside from my own gorgeous son, of course)! You have a beautiful family. You are a global “jetsetter” – I know it may not feel like it! You are – in every way- a winner! And you are beautiful inside and out! Have a wonderful holiday. 🙂

July 3, 2011 at 11:02 am

8. I’m so glad it was you who won! I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did. The publisher is out of the office until Tuesday, but hopefully she’ll mail it off to you ASAP. Thanks for entering the give away!

Patty

July 3, 2011 at 11:50 pm

9. Gotta love winning.
    I have a secret: I make sure I win every day. I do this by carefully choosing my success, and by knowing that winning and success are the same thing.

Just tonight, I won the gift of a wonderful, pleasant, loving experience, when I put my son to bed. The way he read his sight words to me, he could be any kindergarten kid. You would have to know how much work he and I have put in, to know how much of a win that was.

I won, when my other son and I shared a wonderful half-hour fixing the bike in the shed. It could easily have been a chore. But sharing it with my son, it was a win at the end of a hard, hard, early day of school holidays.

I won, when my daughter graciously helped her brothers, her mother, and myself, in small ways, all through the day. Again, after moment stacked on moment of hard work, when it pays like this… we have to take notice and revel in the #WINNING feeling that Charlie Sheen with his Tiger Blood will never notice.

Define success, and win every day. You owe it to yourself… and to those kids who need us to keep winning, every day.

But you are right, there’s nothing like a freebie!

imawestie

July 4, 2011 at 8:07 am

10. hugs to you. i know you must be dealing with SO much right now. here’s to more winning – big and small!

rhemashope