Sensory Showing

Last week we were visiting family in Florida, but the timing coincided with something I planned on doing one last time before leaving the country: attending a sensory showing.  Here in the US*, AMC theatres provide a monthly sensory showing of a film for those on the spectrum and their friends and families.  It. Is. Awesome.  The normal rules of the cinematic experience are suspended.  You are free to move around and talk, bring your own allergy-free snacks, and the volume is lowered and a light kept on.  Instead of the usual commercials and trailers, the film begins right away.  They even put a special price on tickets, so a family living here outside expensive Washington D.C. pays the same amount as those living in more affordable parts of the US.

The downside to the sensory showing being only once a month, and catering to the entire population (not just children) meant that the two films Pudding would most have enjoyed were not sensory showings.  We went to see The Princess and The Frog anyway at a regular showing.  We deliberately waited until it has been out for a couple of weeks, and went to a Sunday morning screening where there would be other kids.  Pudding enjoyed much of it, but the sounds was a little loud, and some scenes were scary.  She needed to make a couple of trips to the bathroom.

Towards the end she was a little overwhelmed, and I gave her my iPod (volume off) to distract her.  A woman sitting behind us quickly told us it was distracting her, and asked us to switch it off.  I wanted to tell the woman how well she was doing, that she just didn’t know what distracting was, but she’d soon find out.  But the normal rules applied there, so I did as she asked, fully expecting a meltdown.  But Pudding coped, she just asked to leave again.  Her Daddy took her for another walk and they returned for the final scene.  I was soured by the experience, and when Tangled came out and we found it was not the sensory showing that month, we decided to wait until it came out on DVD.

Finally Toy Story 3 hit the cinema and it was a sensory showing, and we had no other plans that day.  I don’t recall a time when we have felt so welcomed as a family.  There was a real sense of community, and I knew no matter what my kids did, we would be accepted and respected.  There are few times we’ve been out in public when I could say that.  Pudding really only identifies with female characters (read princesses and fairies) and Toy Story 3 became a bit overwhelming for her, so that time we took advantage of being able to wander around safe in the knowledge that we weren’t bothering anyone.  A child behind us began the film by reciting every line after it was spoken.  His parents soon urged him to stop, but it didn’t annoy me in the least; rather it cemented the fact that we were with those who understood.  Pudding had just started in her preschool autism class, and a classmate found her and cupped her face and spelled put her name.  I didn’t know she knew him (though I guessed), but marveled at how relaxed she seemed with somebody touching her.  I wonder if she was so calm because we were, because the normal rules that are so constraining for her just didn’t apply that day.

Our family already had plans the day of the sensory showing of Cars 2, but I persuaded them to join us for it.  Cars 2 definitely isn’t a Pudding kind of film, and it also went over Cubby’s head, but just being free to move around, play in the iPad, and speak is a freedom that they enjoyed, and so did we.  All the cousins got to enjoy the movie together.  Though we were away from home, it was still touching to see moviegoers hugging each other at the end.  That sense of community and belonging is a real gift.

Thank you to The Autism Society and AMC for making these accommodations and giving my children such enjoyment, and making us all feel like we belong.

*UK readers click here for information about an autism-friendly screening.

July 8, 2011 at 7:35 am

1. fantastic. So glad you got to have this experience!! now send this to them! tweet it to them! 🙂

July 8, 2011 at 7:40 am

2. Wow! I never even knew things like this existed!! I’m going to have to look into it for sure! Glad you had a good time!! AMC just got my vote for favorite movie theatre!!

joeysmommy

July 8, 2011 at 7:46 am

3. The ONLY day our whole family has been to the movies, together, was for a kidsflix event.

Unfortunately, there was a character name in that movie the same as my son. Who dies in the first 15 minutes. In quite distressing circumstances.

We didn’t know that before we got there.
    Oops!

However, it was great being in a cinema where the lights didn’t go all the way off.
    Where there were people worrying about their own kids wheelchair… so they weren’t worried about my son running between the chairs and the screen. With other kids making more noise than my own.

Such a great sounding idea. I don’t see it being too regular an event down here (apart from tight-arse Tuesday matinee sessions, which are really designed for mums + toddlers).

Westie

July 8, 2011 at 8:20 am

• What I really like about this is that it isn’t just kids, they do all kinds of films. You never know, the idea might catch on over there too!

July 8, 2011 at 8:47 am

4. We love Sensory Friendly Films! It’s the only way we could ever make it through a movie with my Aspie. It’s such a relief knowing that everyone in the room understands and no one is judging you!

Stephenie

July 8, 2011 at 10:53 am

• It is so true. In the last two years I don’t think we’ve been anywhere in public that was so welcoming. I’m going to miss them when we move…unless I persuade a South African chain to follow by example! 🙂

July 8, 2011 at 12:04 pm

5. I’ve been following your blog and I was really excited to see that you all were able to go to a sensory showing! I’m a TAG teacher in Tennessee and quite a few of my students are on the spectrum. A friend of mine who is very involved in Autism Speaks in Nashville introduced me to sensory showings, and I recommended them to my students and their families and they have had wonderful experiences at them 🙂 I recently had the opportunity to see Wretches and Jabberers, and the atmosphere was very spectrum-friendly 🙂

Thank you for sharing your journey with so many (those of us that comment and those of us that stay silent). Your thoughts and experiences are worth so much more than you will ever know…

Best,
    Bethany

Bethany

July 9, 2011 at 11:16 pm

6. […] cinema in England.  I immediately though about how great it would be if they could do the sensory showings that we enjoy here in the US, and suggested to him that they do just that.  He said he’d get […]

7. […] meant it wasn’t just comfortable for us, but a place where we belonged.  Without sensory-friendly showings, I wasn’t sure we could get through a whole […]