The Goat’s Cheese Store

On Tuesday morning I was in a hurry to get the kids to school and return home for the delivery of our household effects. The usual route to Cubby’s preschool was heavy with traffic, so I opted to go a different way.

Cubby: I want to go to the goat’s cheese store!

Me: What?! [I am the only member of our family who eats cheese, and even I don’t remember the last time I bought goat’s cheese.]

Pudding: Goat’s-cheese-store, goat’s-cheese-store.  The goat’s cheese store, Mumm-eh! [Pudding is now pronouncing Mummy in a weird way.  Not sure why.]

Me: Thank you, Pudding.

Cubby: The goat’s cheese store!  I want to go to the goat’s cheese store.

Me: What do you want to do at the goat’s cheese store?

Cubby: Buy goat’s cheese.

Me: [Of course.]  I don’t know where there is a goat’s cheese store.

Cubby: I fink it’s around here some place.

Me: Oh, okay.  But, anyway, we’re going to school now.

We come to an intersection where the Pick n’ Pay hypermarket is located.

Cubby: There it is, Mummy.  The goat’s cheese store!

Me: Aah, I see!  You mean the grocery store.  Say “gro-cer-y store.”

Pudding: Grocery store.

Cubby: Gross-er-cheese store.

Me: Hmm. Or you could call it a supermarket.

Pudding: Supermarket.

Cubby: Su-per-mark-et.

Me: Yes, that’s right.

Cubby: Mummy?

Me: Yes?

Cubby: I don’t want to go to the supermarket.  I don’t like soup, Mummy.

Funny that, he usually likes soup.  Maybe, just maybe, he likes goat’s cheese now instead.

October 7, 2011 at 4:35 am

1. How cute is that! 😀

Di

October 7, 2011 at 7:15 am

2. I knew we were having translational difficulties. . . usually I pick those up right away, but not that one. Cute.

You know when it’s not cute? (I’m sure you do) When you can’t understand what they want, but they NEED IT NOW!!!!!

I like goat’s cheese. Sometimes anyway. Here in the US of A we call it goat cheese instead of goat’s cheese. Funny.

Jim W.

October 7, 2011 at 9:28 am

3. Actually glad it’s not goat’s cheese… too sophisticated for me!! They are both adorable. 🙂

October 7, 2011 at 9:28 am

4. I love your Pudding and Cubby stories!! They are too cute!! =)

Joeysmommy

October 7, 2011 at 9:47 am

5. I love it!

smallbitsfs@yahoo.com

October 7, 2011 at 11:47 am

6. That is so literal and so funny. How can you not get a giggle at that? And for the record I’m glad there’s not a goat cheese store. That sounds kinda gross…

Lizbeth

October 7, 2011 at 11:55 am

7. So funny! Get that kid some goat cheese, will ya?

Patty

October 9, 2011 at 11:10 pm

8. […] would i find at grocery store Oh, so many foodies were inadvertently lured here with the promise of goat’s cheese. kombi death trap Right?! Actually, I’m finding it a little meta that my G post is referring […]

9. […] October we went to the goat’s cheese store.  Steve Jobs died, but left us an incredible legacy.  Just as we’re settling in to our new […]