E is for Employment

Yes, not echolalia- I just wrote about that, and I’d hate to repeat myself.  Employment has been on my mind lately.  Now that the children are in school in the mornings, I have free time for the first time in four years.  I’m weighing up the possibility of returning to work.  Putting aside for a moment every other consideration of being a special needs parent, getting a job is not an easy business.  Unlike other countries, there is no bilateral agreement between the US and South Africa in terms of work permits for family members of the diplomatic community.  So I can’t go to work on the local economy.  If I want to work, it has  to be at the Consulate or the Embassy in Pretoria, which is a commute I’d rather not face.  And then-z my husband cannot be my boss, or my supervisor’s boss, which means I can’t do the work  I did before getting married.  It doesn’t leave me with many options, so the issue is moot for the time being.

Once in a while, my mind wanders away from the safe territory of here and now, into the hostile land of the unforeseeable future.  I have a momentary panic about my kids’ careers.  Will they be employed?  What will they do?  It isn’t necessarily a bleak forecast.  I wouldn’t want to be the one to tell Pudding or Cubby they couldn’t do whatever they’ve set their mind to.  But what would that be?

Cubby, who has literally argued that night is day, would probably make an awesome lawyer, if we parents could stand the shame.  But if you were to ask him?  Right now he’d want to be a basketball player.  Such a shame he wasn’t the exceptionally tall child in our family.

Speaking of Pudding, perhaps with her inherent fashion sense, she could put that height to use in the fashion industry.  That girl is too hands-on though, and together with her arty streak, she’d probably be happier creating her own designs.  Whatever field she happened to choose though, I’m certain she’d dominate.

I know really, that it is ridiculous to speculate so far ahead.  Only a fool would assume that the tastes of preschoolers would never change.

Take me, for instance.  Four year-old me wanted nothing more than to be an air hostess.*  A job I would never have chosen once I reached adulthood.  But as a child I imagined a future traveling around the world, nagging people to fasten their seatbelts, serving nut-free snacks all day, dishing up meals in special trays so the food doesn’t touch, and dealing with a whole lot of turbulence while wearing a sunny smile.  Absolutely nothing like the way my life has turned out!

*Yeah, I know, steward or cabin crew, but little me was as stubborn as Pudding, so don’t argue.

October 24, 2011 at 5:18 pm

1. “Yes, not echolalia- I just wrote about that, and I’d hate to repeat myself” this sentence strikes me as amusing with regard to echolalia.

blogginglily

October 24, 2011 at 5:39 pm

• It would be terrible if she repeated herself about echolalia. But I’m sure she’ll come back to that subject eventually!

Westie

October 26, 2011 at 1:23 am

2. My husband is a lawyer!!!!

Di

October 24, 2011 at 6:45 pm

3. Nah, just joking!!! 🙂
    He is an accountant!!

Di

October 24, 2011 at 6:46 pm

4. Hmmm, my parents have stood the shame quite well, thank you. 😉 Cubby is now destined to have a career in the law and print out this post 20 years from today and show it to you! You do realize that, right?

When I was a preschooler, I wanted to be an actress. Actress – lawyer, it’s all the same…(sigh)

You do spend quite a bit of time galavanting around the globe so I think there may have been something to this whole “air hostess” thing…

And you know, you don’t have to leave home to be employed writing your own book. There’s always that, self-disciplined endeavor, yes? 🙂

October 24, 2011 at 8:33 pm

5. i always wonder and hope that my aspie boy will have a career he loves someday. my primary fear is that despite all the prep,despite high academic performance, despite the therapies, he might not be able to choose his hearts desire because of his disability. and that makes me even more frantic about how we are doing with helping him along socially now…every single day is filled with very deliberate action. With my non-aspie it is so much more relaxed, so much ‘easier’ to have faith that he will find his way…

selina

October 25, 2011 at 12:44 am

6. As a child, I really thought I could be both a dentist and a barber for the highly practical reason that you can use the same chair for both jobs.
    Through high school, I just wanted a job where “you have to think, but be outside” – I worked out that these jobs tend not to pay real well, or they required me to finish uni (which I never did quite do).

Now here I am stuck inside, and whatever anyone else thinks, I describe my job as simply: “I help other people get their own job done, by helping them do the parts of it they don’t understand”. In less caring moments I feel I’m simply the guy that’s paid to RTFM so nobody else has to.

There will be work for our children; the aging world population will make sure of that. It is up to us to make sure that when the time comes, they will be equipped to be either “out there” working, or able to stay home and work, and something which the world places a value on.

Westie

October 26, 2011 at 1:30 am

7. I laughed out loud at the first sentence – half because it was funny and half because I got it right away. But since the men already added to the humor, I won’t attempt it myself.

The only thing I’d like to point out is I think many parents of special needs kiddos probably engage in one part of the air hostess job you dreamed of – “dealing with a whole lot of turbulence while wearing a sunny smile”. 🙂

Lana Rush