Wordless Wednesday 14 Dec 11

Problem-solving the Pudding way.

We used the spare bedroom to stash the Christmas presents before they were sent to Santa to deliver.  Naturally, the door was kept locked, but one day somebody forgot, and Pudding infiltrated the room.  Luckily the gifts were placed high in a wardrobe, and I found her before she figured out a way to get them.  From then on, the key was placed out of reach on a hook that only the grown-ups could reach.  Of course, that was just a precaution.  With her significant fine and gross motor delays, and difficulties with motor planning, those presents should be safe under lock and key.  The arrow shows the keys.

Day one- she comes up with a solution, but she still isn't tall enough to get the keys. I find her and we play outside so she can't try again.

Day two- she tries again, this time lifting a very heavy chair from my room. Success, in the time it took me to change her brother.

Aspie girl 1, Mummy 0.  I eventually found the keys, and moved Santa’s stash elsewhere, but something tells me it isn’t over yet.

I hope to never, ever, read a report that says she has poor problem-solving skills.  I have good evidence to the contrary.

Happy Wordless Wednesday everyone!

December 14, 2011 at 2:12 pm

1. That’s my youngest. He’s got great problem solving skills. It’s my oldest that sometimes needs help solving some of the most basic dilemmas.

2. Yep. In our house, that’s called “changing the dvd in the back room” – the tv is on a wall bracket about the height of your key.
    Poor problem solving skills? That’s the psychologists, failing to come up with an adequate measure of intelligence for our kids.

Westie

December 14, 2011 at 2:36 pm

3. I know it’s not “awesome” per se, since she’s laying siege to the fortress of Christmas magic. . . but. . . still pretty awesome.

blogginglily

December 14, 2011 at 3:36 pm

4. Go Pudding! I mean come on… *someone* has got to keep you on your toes, right?

Karla (Mom2LittleMiss)

December 14, 2011 at 4:26 pm

5. We Go through this as well, dakman can’t STAND anything wrapped in the house….so ALL gifts must get stashed…and then wrapped Christmas eve after he finally crashes for the night…and the hiding place MUST be changed weekly ( sometimes sooner) because He finds them…that being said, I still think this is AWESOME!!! ( yeah moving santa’s stash is a pain…but the thought process and problem solving skills they go through to get to those gifts…way awesome!)

RachelB

December 14, 2011 at 4:33 pm

6. That’ll teach you to put the key where she can see it! 🙂

December 14, 2011 at 5:07 pm

7. This made me laugh cause just yesterday I realised how futile it is for me to have all the medications, Christmas presents and general stuff I don’t want my boy to get on a high shelf.

Futile because *I* need a chair to reach them and he can just reach up cause he is a full head taller than me. And can get it for me.

I have also recently discovered combination locks…

Kelley @ magnetoboldtoo

December 17, 2011 at 2:17 am

8. […] My previous efforts have been far from successful.  At the age of 2, she figured out Santa Daddy within seconds.  Last year she was sick all Christmas Day, and this year she has already discovered Santa’s stash of presents. […]