The Next Chapter

After our first trip to Pudding’s new school, we looked through the book her teacher had made, and talked about them a little.  We were going to return on Monday, so this time I learned from my mistakes.  I was more specific about what would happen.  Instead of going to see the new school, teachers, playground and friends, I told her we would be going back to play on the playground at the new school with the new friends, and her teachers would be there too.

I don’t think it was just the choice of words, but at least she knew what was expected of her this time.  While everything is still new, it wasn’t so overwhelming this time.  Instead of parking in the huge car park and walking through the rest of the campus, I parked around the back, so we only had to walk around the elementary part of the school.

Pudding showed none of her reticence this time.  She skipped up to her teacher when she saw her, and took her hand to accompany her to meet some of the children in the classroom.  Cubby, recovering from illness, had come along too, so he and I busied ourselves on the playground.

It was some time before they returned.  Pudding had been playing.  She’d immediately taken up with another little girl in pink, and told her that they matched!  She ran out with a few other children and they all piled on to the playground.

I caught her teacher’s eye, who smiled back.  After the other children left, Pudding moved on to drawing, then we went for a look around her new classroom.  Pudding discovered another place to draw, and in no time at all had made herself quite at home.  I wasn’t sure she was going to want to leave.

She’s going to be fine,” said her teacher, and I honestly think that she will.

I think we all will.  She belongs here, with teachers who see a child’s strengths as well as weaknesses.  And who know that calming a parent goes a long way to easing anxiety in children.  We’ll be coming again next week for a final familiarization session.  This time we’re both looking forward to it, and the start of the next chapter in Pudding’s education.

May 24, 2012 at 11:26 am

1. I’m feeling so good about this for her and you! Yay!

May 24, 2012 at 12:16 pm

2. What an awesome step forward! I’m smiling for you all!

Nomads By Nature

May 24, 2012 at 12:38 pm

3. This sounds sooo exciting! I know I need to backtrack and there are bound to be ups and downs but it sounds like you’ve met a match!! I’m so happy for the whole family but especially your little artist!!

May 24, 2012 at 2:49 pm

4. That’s great. School can be tough, but it seems that going to school can really bring out some positive behaviour. And good choice of words when you were explaining things to Pudding. We still try to use the right words when dealing with Jacob, it’s just easier to rephrase our sentences than bringing Jacob back down to Earth when he’s mad.

Jim Reeve

May 24, 2012 at 2:52 pm

5. Oh, this sounds wonderful! Sooo happy to read that she did well…and that you’ve found *just* the right place!

Lisa

May 24, 2012 at 4:13 pm

6. Awww! That just gives me the warm and fuzzies! So happy this trip worked out 🙂

Mom2MissK

May 24, 2012 at 6:27 pm

7. Good news, it is all coming together! 🙂

8. […] Pudding has taught me a lifetime of lessons in her 5 years on this planet, but most of all, she teaches me to keep going.  To let nothing stop us- to always find another way.  Now the very doors of a school that were once locked to us, are wide open in welcome. […]

9. […] But how can I not? How can I not persuade other international schools embarking on a journey of inclusion that they need to develop programs for children like mine? They need to open up their doors. […]