First Aid

Last week, I went along with the Consul General and the Community Grants Coordinator for a ceremony to mark the handing out of the very first Autism South Africa First Aid Kits.  I got to introduce my boss to the dedicated team that brought this idea to fruition.  We also toured an inner-city school for children on the spectrum.  I was immediately recognized by a member of staff as Pudding’s mother- she is such a superstar!

These First Aid kits are packages that Autism South Africa will send out to communities and schools in need to support their autistic learners.  It isn’t an autism unit in every school.  It isn’t specially trained teachers and therapists such as the wealthier amongst us can afford.  This is the most basic toolkit for those with nothing else, for true communities in need: rural, isolated, impoverished.

We got to meet some of the recipients of these kits, and I don’t know how I managed not to shed a tear as they talked about how tools as simple as a laminator and velcro were going to change the lives of children there.  Each kit contains strategies and tools, with a guide to producing developmental toys with limited resources and no impact to the environment.

The US Mission to South Africa provides the Self-Help grant that funds 80 of these kits, but the impact of these strategies is beyond measure.

Beyond measure…just like the potential of those given the right support.  This first aid may not be saving lives, but it is definitely changing them…for the better.

November 20, 2012 at 5:25 pm

1. Hats off to Autism South Africa and the US Mission to South Africa. We so need more funding to get these kits out far and wide. Thanks for sharing this.

Bright Side of Life

November 20, 2012 at 6:13 pm

2. Can you provide more information about these kits? I would love to try to put together a fundraiser in the states to help with this. I don’t know whether it is easier to get the actual items in the kit and ship them or determine the cost of the items in the kit and then provide an equivalent monetary donation. Do you have a list somewhere of the contents of each kit?

Kudos to you for this project!

Rachel

November 20, 2012 at 6:27 pm

• I do have a list of contents, but not here at home. I’ll get that and update the post tomorrow. This is very exciting…I’m not sure of the logisitics, but if we could fund more of these kits, it would be amazing! Thank you!

November 20, 2012 at 6:50 pm

3. Great job. If only more people promoted awareness and acceptance like autism South Africa. I take for granted the services we receive because we’re in a big city. I couldn’t imagine what things would be like if we lived in a more rural community.

jimreeve

November 20, 2012 at 6:43 pm

4. This is a heartwarming post.

November 20, 2012 at 11:48 pm